Deer tag filled at 553 yards

Jim the Plumber17

Just put together a sporter weight 6.5x47 Lapua a few weeks ago. Wanted a medium weight hunting rifle with a shorter over all length than my match rifle so I put together the following:SA Rem 700 LH, Lilja 3 groove 8 twist Rem mag contour 21" ss bbl, no name laminate RH stock I carved out to a lefty, Jewell, NF NXS, 129 Hornady sst's at 2925.
After a day of hunting by myself I spotted this 3x3 across a field with 15 doe between us. Ranged him at 553 yards. Dialed up 3.1 mil's, no wind, lined up on his lungs and squeezed one off. watched horns and hooves flip over in the scope, then the short death run into some dense brush. He made it about 25 yards and piled up in a small stream.
5 hours from the shot to closing the tail gate on him on the truck, but it was a blast!
Just a little guy, but a fun hunt :D
2nc1kpi.jpg

The bang stick:
jtxois.jpg

Hey the fun is what it's all about, Congratulations!

Nice looking lefty laminate stock. I've always really liked the looks of lam wood. Looks like you did a great job of carving it out yourself?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts