Deer rifle choice for kids

I have a 10 year old daughter and this year she used her bolt .223. She has also shot 308 with reduced recoil loads and can shoot that quite well.

The one modification I made for her was to get a Boyd's at one stock.

http://www.atonegunstocks.com/

That made a huge difference in comfort for her. I am able to get the LOP and comb much closer in line to make shooting more comfortable. It is adjustable enough that I can shoot it as well if I want and it also added a little weight.

Wow, very thoughtful of you, He must be having a lot of fun with it, i guess its best to get him become better shot and use to variety of calibers,Thanks Winkfish.

I bought by son and daughter a Handi
Rifle in 243 when they were 8 .
Both are grown and both still love and shoot the little youth model Handi Rifle in 243 . They have piled the deer up with those things . Kinda funny to see my 6'2 200 lb son packing it around but everything he squeezes the trigger on is dead right there .
They don't make the Handi Rifle any more but there are plenty in the pawn shops and gun Broker even here on the classifieds now and then. Good luck

what!!! of course i do like the route, its either a .223 or .243.
or maybe both and see what feels natural and easy for him.

In your case I'd choose a compact 223 . The new model Rem model 7 in .223 would be my top choice. The newest ones have a 9 twist bbl, and that would allow you to use the tough 62 gr Barnes TTSX bullet. That'd be an awesome compact package that's more than capable of killing any size whitetail with near zero recoil. The 7's can be had in blued/laminated with a 18 1/2 bbl or SS/SYN with a 20" bbl. Youth stocks are available, or restock it with a boyds or stockys with a shortened LOP.

7mm-08 they make factory reduced loads or you can reload. I load my girls with little gun powder shoots like a 223. Then when he gets older he already has a rifle that can handle just about anything.
same here. when my daughter was 10 I bought her a bolt 223, then a bolt 7.62x39 and finally a Rem 7 in 7-08 "for the future".
The "future" came right away, because she shot all three, and has taken the 7-08 out ever since. With light loads, that tiny rifle hardly kicks. She's shot 3 deer with it so far.

My daughter started our with a 223 and knocked down a few Mt muley bucks just fine but I recently got her a 6.5 Creedmore since she's after elk more now and I've been more impressed with it than anything I've ever bought, you won't find better loaded factory rounds for anything else, hers shoots so well it would almost be a waste to reload for it. Tons of high quality factory stuff, she shot the 120 ELDM a lot and it shot in the .3's and moderate recoil for what your getting, it's one gun she won't grow out of which side impressive to me!

My vote would be a .243. That is what I learned on and still love today. Now my 13 year old shoots it and loves it. He didn't shoot his first buck with it (308) but that is his first choice rifle. 85 grain gamekings have taken many deer. Too many for me to count.

Mmhh, .223 and .243. Both amazing choices from personal experience and from advice I think I have him try a .223 now and then .243 in the future. I think the .223 is a little more friendly and adaptable. Thanks

If you get him a Rossi or NEF youth single shot you can always change barrels down the road. I worked up a 125 gr load in .308 for him that doesn't kick to bad for him. As he gets bigger I'll jump it up to 150s. On the plus side I got him a 20 ga barrel for it too so he can bird hunt with the same gun.

Ok here in Indiana on public land I would recommend a .357 maximum.
You could start him shooting .38 specials then graduate to .357 magnums and then start dipping his toes into the .357 maximum.
Now if private land the .243 is awesome.
You don't need a muzzle brake on it, unless you wanna go deaf.
Now I have a sweet light load I load up for my daughter with 70 grain nbts and 3031 powder.
Zero recoil.

For those recommending the .223, realize that in Indiana the smallest diameter you can use in a centerfire private land rifle is a .243. That's why it has been recommended. The OP can go bigger, but can't go smaller.

So, as noted, he's left with a .243 if he wants a rifle deer hunt on private land, or pistol cartridges if he hunts public. It's that simple.

Having said that, here in MI my now-17yo uses a .223 because she's recoil sensitive, and it's deadly. My older daughter shoots everything up to my 7mmRM Sendero, but has a .243 for deer.

For anyone limited to the 223 level of recoil, but concerned about the small diameter, consider something like the CZ 527 in 7.62x39. It's very mild. And accurate at 100.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.