• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Deer hunting riffle in a lower recoil caliber

orangehd1

Looking for a lightweight deer hunting riffle for my 13 year old son. He's ok with 6.5CM but 243 or similar would be even better.
Thanks
Joe

I have a remington bolt .243 for sale at local gun shop would be great beginner rifle. I was actually going to pull it from there. Let me grab it in a day or two and we will make a deal. Cheap!

Like Christ-mas season cheap.

Where in NC? My son is in Charlotte, BF in Mooresville...

OP,if you haven't already take some time and your son and go to a gunshop, then have your son hold and aim each that's offered Or that he Or you pick out , most of the time sales people don't know or care 2out of 10 will know their stuff ,great shopping ,make sure he earns it ,if it's always free it's taken for granted,Cheers!!!.

Lightweight and low recoil don't really jive. An 8# rifle with a 24" pipe is not really that heavy but is way more fun to shoot. Don't overlook those larger caliber heavy rifles. Like a 6.5 creed, prc or 7-08 etc
Agreed. Not really looking for an ultra lightweight. But would like to stay 7LBS or under without scope.

If he can handle the 6.5 CM, do you have the ability to hand load? You can get lighter projectiles and powders to still be lethal, but greatly reduce felt recoil.

I've got a stainless Remington 700 with a bartlein barrel in 6.5 creedmoor has a McMillan stock.

I have a Sako 75 in a 7-08 with a Leoupold vx3 scope that my daughter just graduated from. She killed about 6 deer with it with 120 gr barnes tsx and the recoil was never an issue with her.

I have this in the classifieds section. 7lbs10oz with the included scope, you could lighten it up with a red dot or such. I carried this rifle all day on deer drives. With a sling your shoulder takes the burden. The .300 AAC is fun and very recoil friendly.