Decisions decisions

Creekrat

So I had my mind made up on a 300wm for future big game hunts but kept my eyes open for any deals. I just happened across a Christensen Ridgeline in 26 Nosler that I could pick up right around $900 and it appears to have been shot very little. My reasoning for wanting the 300wm was for potential elk in 2021 but reflecting on what the vast majority of my hunting will most likely be I see far more whitetail, axis, antelope, muley, etc in the mix. With my youngest son having a 6.5 Creedmoor I'm looking really hard at the above Ridgeline in that when I start reloading, hopefully very soon, that it'd be a little more streamlined as opposed to having 2 totally separate animals so to speak. Also, if I wanted to use it on elk I could always develop a load with the 156gr bergers that should dispatch one in similar fashion to slightly larger calibers.

If it is a Ridgeline, you can always get it, buy a new Proof and have it chambered and still be about the same cost as a new one, but have a better barrel than the CA factory barrel.

As for the chambering, 26 Nosler is a powerhouse 6.5mm. Barrel burners for sure, but a 156 @ 3100+ will do just fine for elk.

If it is a Ridgeline, you can always get it, buy a new Proof and have it chambered and still be about the same cost as a new one, but have a better barrel than the CA factory barrel.

As for the chambering, 26 Nosler is a powerhouse 6.5mm. Barrel burners for sure, but a 156 @ 3100+ will do just fine for elk.
Seriously? A .264" bullet for Elk? Maybe I do overkill everything. I've always thought using a 7mm Rem Mag on Elk was the bare minimum, with 30 caliber preferred. Of course I have never had the pleasure of an Elk hunt either.

Seriously? A .264" bullet for Elk? Maybe I do overkill everything. I've always thought using a 7mm Rem Mag on Elk was the bare minimum, with 30 caliber preferred. Of course I have never had the pleasure of an Elk hunt either.
Although maybe not the best choice for elk alone I think it's a viable option. Book data shows 140gr partitions pushed at 3300fps. Depending on the variables I think one could realistically see a 156gr pushed 3100+ which a shot in the boiler room would definitely result in meat

you have a point,,,,, but a 156 @3300 plus!!! :D:D:D:D whats not to like

you have a point,,,,, but a 156 @3300 plus!!! :D:D:D:D whats not to like
6.5-300 - 96.7 grains H20
6.5 STW - 96.7 grains H20
.26 Nosler - 98.2 grains H20
.264 WM - 76 grains H20
6.5 PRC - 62gr
6.5-284 - 56gr
6.5x55 - 58gr
6.5 CM - 52.5gr
.260 R - 53.5gr

.......when I started writing this, I was going to make some funny point about burning barrels or something. Yet, after being interrupted 4 times by a kid, and 2 dogs, combined with years of alcohol abuse, I have no effing clue what I was getting at LOL :D

Ive killed 25+ bull elk with a 6.5
Also a moose, bear, and countless deer.

6.5-300 - 96.7 grains H20
6.5 STW - 96.7 grains H20
.26 Nosler - 98.2 grains H20
.264 WM - 76 grains H20
6.5 PRC - 62gr
6.5-284 - 56gr
6.5x55 - 58gr
6.5 CM - 52.5gr
.260 R - 53.5gr

.......when I started writing this, I was going to make some funny point about burning barrels or something. Yet, after being interrupted 4 times by a kid, and 2 dogs, combined with years of alcohol abuse, I have no effing clue what I was getting at LOL :D
Those freaking squirrels get me too

Those freaking squirrels get me too
"I'm working on getting a new rifle. It's going to be.....hey, look, there's a chicken!!......what was I doing, oh yeah, shopping for ammo.....hey hunny, this is a good deal, look.......hey, was that a bird, where da funk did it go......man I should get started shopping for a new rifle, I'm never going to get it at this rate......heck, look at that, the webpage is already open. Hunny that means its fate I have THIS gun...."

That is just a sample of what 3 minutes is like in my mind lol

While I used to agree wholeheartedly with you, I have seen a bunch of elk killed in the last few years with much smaller cased 6.5mms, usually pushing 130-147gr bullets. The 156 has much more sectional density than a 160gr 7mm bullet, so penetration exceeds those. And BC is light years above them too, so less velocity loss for more retained energy, wind drift, and flatter shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.