Decision time..(NF 5.5-22 vs 8-32)

Hello All

Has anyone tried the 6x to 20X Leupold LR with the 50MM Objective and side wheel focus?
The field of view is like the 5.5X Nightforce being only .5X more and the price is not that high for the quality.

I have one and it works just fine for me.
It also is less then half the cost of the 5.5 to 22X Nightforce NXS. You can find them new for around $600.00 or less plus you receive a lifetime warrenty and the scope is made in the USA.
I should buy another one at that rate?

Just a thought.

DC
wink.gif

I routinely see USED 5-22x NXS scopes in the $800-900 range.

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: sr90 ]

Sr90,
where do you see these used ones at for that price?

Darryl,
seeings how eyes are very different sometimes, and many people swear by their findings when viewing through optics, can you tell us how many people you have met that have given up the NF for the Leopold, and the other way around too, just for that reason alone?

I read somewhere here that they put the crosshair in the first focal plane on new ones to eliminate the shift from power changes. I wonder if this includes the 6-20 LR you use or just another certain model? Anyone know?

I have never purchaced a TOP end 30mm tube Leopold. They make the Tacticals, LR, LPS and maybe other different types and I never quite understood all the differences between them all, some seem redundant, so I have been a little dicouraged from buying into one so far. Can anyone make sense of the different lines offered, break it down so to speak?

First, I prefer the Leupold over the Nightforce. I use the 3.5x10 M1. You can get any of the 50mm leupolds with M1 turrets from Premier reticles. The M1 turrets are VERY repeatable.

Second, I did some homework on the POI shift. If you sight in on max power, the POI shift is less than 1/4 MOA with the scope turned all the way down to minimum power. How much is a 1/4 MOA going to effect you at minimum power?
What powers are you using for extreme ranges?

I've used Nightforce and Leupolds and I don't know what all the nightforce hoopla is about.

John, how is the M1 turret diferent than any of others Leopold has, is this their target turret or is it different as well?

Did you find the Leopold clearer, brighter, sharper or something else?

What's not to like about the NF?

I think they are a top quality scope myself with all the features I like too...

Hoopla?

Repeatability, etched glass reticle, tougher than snot, vivid and logical reading dials, 56mm obj, 30mm tube, lighted reticle, nice variety of reticles, great customer service, big positive and negative G ratings, lots of moa adjustment and great glass too.

It's really no wonder why a lot of guys like them so much in my opinion.

Let me re-phrase my turret statement.....
My leupold with the M1 turrets is very repeatable......I have never used the Target Knobs so I can't compare. The turrets are great for dialing a lot of MOA because it has those marker lines to let you know how many full revolutions you have made. They are also very sharp clicks.

I think the leupold glass if fine. I don't think is as good as the zeiss or Swarovski....but it is good enough for me.

As far as nightforce, I agree it is an excellent scope. I personally would prefer the Swarovski with the adjustable objective for $1200 if I was spending nightforce dollars....but I also do not need that much MOA....Swarovski does suck with the MOA.

I just think for the price of a leupold compared to a nightforce....the nightforce is not that much better that I would spend nearly double. Maybe if I needed all that MOA.....but if I did I could use a sloped base.

I will tell you the one thing that makes me envy the nightforce over the leupold is that NP-R2 reticle. That is beautiful!

I don't care about the ranging, just holdovers and windage. I do wish leupold had a similar reticle. Premier reticle can only do full lines which would make it as cluttered as the horus reticle.

I guess what I meant by hoopla was the price relative to leupold.

The 4-16 PV Swarovski has 72 MOA of elevation (plenty to get you out past 1000 yards) I know 'cause I had one before I replaced it with my USoptics.
grin.gif

Honestly if you are only shooting out to 1000 yards then I would get the Leupold Mark 4 10x M3.... or the Leupold 3-10x M3. They are good scopes, plus I love the BDC knobs, they likely won't be dead on but I love being able to go from 100-1000 yards with one turn of the knob.

Brent, the M1 means it has those tall uncovered knobs, mostly on SPECOPS SWS, were as the M3 is a BDC(bullet drop compensator) with low knobs, like on the ARMYS M24.
Take care my friend.

yes target knobs are the same style and the M1 turrets. The M3 knobs have 1 moa value clicks and will have like 46 moa of adjustment in one turn of the knob. Some like the fine tuned adjustments of the M1 knobs because each click is 1/4 moa. I have a USoptics ST10 with a BDC knob similar to Leupolds that has 1/2 MOA click values which means that at 1000 yards the most I will be off will be 2.5 inches. But, even with the M3's 1 moa clicks the most you will be off at 1000 yards is 5 inches.

Brent, M1 has turrets. Target Knobs are different.

I believe the knobs just turn where the turrets actually move up or down after each rotation so you know how many full rotations you have made.

They have litte hash marks. Lets say you are zeroed at 200, your elevation turret might be on 0 and second hash mark so if you dial in 21 MOA you would be on 7 and hash mark #3. I cant remember without looking at it how many hash marks there are, but i'm 99.9% sure it 14 MOA/rotation.

I don't like the M3. The MOA increments a 1 click E and 1/2 click W. Plus the Bullet Drop Compensator on works with....

• .308 M 168gr at 2,650 ft/sec
• .300 Winchester Magnum 190gr at 2,900 ft/sec
• .30-06 Springfield 180gr at 2,700 ft/sec
• 5.56mm (.223 Rem.) 55gr at 3,200 ft/sec

Happy New Year everyone. I'm in the same boat as Jake. I have usually mounted Leupold fixed power scopes on my rifles due to the POI change when dialing variables, but now have begun the persuit of paper at 1K. Currently I am looking for a LR scope that will fit that bill as well as shoot a coyote at 200 on out. The 5.5x22x56 and the 8x32x56 NXS seem to fit the bill. I have a Farrell tapered base so less than 100 MOA adjustment isn't a problem. Any additional information/opinions would be welcome. By the way, there is a Leu. 12x40 AO on the weapon now, just don't seem to have enough power at 1K for me to fix on target like I would like to.
db

S90 The Swarovski PV 4-16 only has 65 MOA elevation and 36 Windage.

The 6 x 24 has only 43E & 25W

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.