Dealing with a shorter CBTO #

NW Hunter

I'm looking for different ways to look at this situation.

My gunsmith installed a PTG bolt with a mini M16 extractor on my Rem 700 long action. The bolt ejects flawlessly at a nice low angle. The bolt *** end does not move whatsoever when the shot breaks. His headspacing is flawless at .0003" shorter than when I brought it in.
Everything sounds great!

When he cut the relief for the extractor in the chamber, he then used a reamer and set the chamber back .008". I liked this idea after I thought abut it. Clean it up after 400 rounds with a 300WM.

The only problem is now my throat is shorter by .015". I had him order the reamer when I originally had the rifle built to be throated for a 190 Berger HVLD with the bottom of the bearing surface at the bottom of the neck of the case. We both agreed that the wrong reamer may have been used.

I am deliberating whether having him fix the shorter throat with a throater reamer that he would have to order or just shooting it the way it is. I am working towards shooting groups at a mile and want all the powder column that I originally had. Then I thought that I would gain space due to throat erosion anyway.

What would you do? I have a good relationship with my gunsmith and want to keep it that way.

Randy

My gunsmith installed a PTG bolt with a mini M16 extractor on my Rem 700 long action. The bolt ejects flawlessly at a nice low angle. The bolt *** end does not move whatsoever when the shot breaks. His headspacing is flawless at .0003" shorter than when I brought it in.
Everything sounds great!

When he cut the relief for the extractor in the chamber, he then used a reamer and set the chamber back .008". I liked this idea after I thought abut it. Clean it up after 400 rounds with a 300WM.

The only problem is now my throat is shorter by .015". I had him order the reamer when I originally had the rifle built to be throated for a 190 Berger HVLD with the bottom of the bearing surface at the bottom of the neck of the case. We both agreed that the wrong reamer may have been used.

I am deliberating whether having him fix the shorter throat with a throater reamer that he would have to order or just shooting it the way it is. I am working towards shooting groups at a mile and want all the powder column that I originally had. Then I thought that I would gain space due to throat erosion anyway.

What would you do? I have a good relationship with my gunsmith and want to keep it that way.

Randy
Something's not making sense, here..... The numbers don't add up.

My gunsmith called me today and asked me to bring in the rifle tomorrow. I will post what he figures out. Thanks for the responses guys.

.015 in a 300wm ain't gonna make a hill of beans difference. He can always use a throater on it as well if it bothers you that much.

Everything sounds great!

Randy
"He set the barrel back .008" but now the throat is .015" shorter". Impossible! The most the throat could be short is .008"! Even if a reamer with a shorter throat was used to set the headspace after set back.

Shortgrass, my gunsmith told me that he did set back the chamber .015" and not .008".
Must have been a miscommunication. I'm just going to work up another load and shoot.
Thanks guys:)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.