Dangerous game rifle builders

revturbo9967

Hello all. I've been toying with swapping my weatherby mark v 338 lapua to a big bore, Possibly to a .416 rigby. I've taked to a few builders and nobody seems to have the experience, reamers/gauges . Is there anyone on here who has some suggestions on builders? Much appreciated

Or this:

Or this:
very nice , but a .460 Weatherby is not on my list of calibers I want HA. 100 lbs of recoil is off the charts. I have no need for that kind of knock down power either.

very nice , but a .460 Weatherby is not on my list of calibers I want HA. 100 lbs of recoil is off the charts. I have no need for that kind of knock down power either.
That recoil is drastically less with the muzzle brake, probably similar to an unbraked 340.

That recoil is drastically less with the muzzle brake, probably similar to an unbraked 340.
Not that I disagree with you, I have brakes on a few rifles but they're heavily looked down on in Africa buy most PHs. They want nothing to do with the loss of hearing when there is no time to cover up. A PH may tell someone with a braked .460 roy to leave it at home.

I have a 416 Rigby and really like it. Fairly pleasant to shoot and you can easily reload it to 416 Roy levels. I have never done that as it crushes buffalo when loaded to 2450 fps with a 400 grain bullet. Norma makes great brass for it and mine will shoot 3 rounds into less than an inch every time.

I have a 416 Rigby and really like it. Fairly pleasant to shoot and you can easily reload it to 416 Roy levels. I have never done that as it crushes buffalo when loaded to 2450 fps with a 400 grain bullet. Norma makes great brass for it and mine will shoot 3 rounds into less than an inch every time.
Thanks! what is your twist for 400 gr?

I have a .416 Rigby in a Ruger safari rifle and with handloads it shoots 400 gr. Bullets at 2600 with no brake on it. Very comfortable to shoot and yea. Under an inch 3 shot groups

Standard 12-14 inch twist will work for up to 450 grain bullets. The recoil gets much more unpleasant when you go over 400 grains. After watching it buckle cape buffalo with the 400's never felt like I needed the super heavy bullets. A 400 grain solid will shoot lengthwise through a cow elephant.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts