Dang! Starting over with the kinetic bullet puller...

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date

Reloading Mistake/Redo - Reuse or Dump the Components?

• Dump it all!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dump the powder only if brass/bullets ok

• Dump the bullets only if powder/brass ok

• Keep it All!

• Total voters
I quit using kinetic bullet pullers after having a primer detonate. Fortunately the powder didn't ignite or I'd been blinded or wounded in other ways.

Crimping with a seating die often causes issues. If you need to crimp, buy a collet crimping die.....well worth the extra effort.

I have both a kinetic and an RCBS collet puller. I'll use either, prefer that collet puller if trying to save the bullets, never thought about a piece of foam or an ear plug in the bottom of the puller to save the bullet/s. I's also like to state that there have been occasions where the collet puller will not work, the kinetic puller always works. I can only strongly suggest that if you insist on a crimping a bottle-neck casing (something that I never do on a bottleneck casing), spend the $20 and purchase a Lee Professional Crimping die, and.........you'll never mess with setting up a crimp with a seating die ever again. Three lips on a collet come in from the outside of the die to push the brass into the cannular instead of rolling the brass over. After messing with setting up a crimp with the seating die for my 45-70s, and destroying a bunch of brass, I broke down and bought the Lee crimp die, very easy to set up and a totally professional crimp.

And.....if at all possible I will reuse the powder and will reuse the brass after resizing and neck sizing. I am not a fan of reusing a bullet that I have pulled with the collet puller, sometimes the jacket will get crushed in; just not worth it. And as far as the kinetic puller I will try putting an ear plug in the bottom to find out whether the bullet gets deformed or not; the jury is going to be out on this one until I give it a try.

Last edited:
Here's the one I like to use. Tried the others and I keep going to this one for ease of use.
https://grip-n-pull.com/

I modified it with an old wooden shovel handle by sawing a groove the length of the wood and then sliding it over the grip handle so the grip doesn't cut into my hand if pulling multiple bullets. Tried to post a picture from my Android Gallery, but this forum won't let me access it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.