Dads freak buck

Tikkamike

I have had a couple people ask me to post pics of this deer. He would be a pretty good buck if both sides were normal. but hes pretty cool despite his lackings.

014-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

012.jpg

009-3.jpg

Last edited:
Mike

I have shot 2 bucks like that. I think its caused by damage to the back leg or nuts. We get alot of car hits where I live so its pretty common to see there racks like that. I have hit 5 deer this year with my jeep only one died right there. Deer are tough as hell.

Funny you say that. I dont know if this is relevant but this deer had lots of ticks between his rear legs none in his arm pits or anywhere else. I wonder if the ticks are an indication of a problem like that? I have never seen ticks on a deer like that.

My Dad shot a buck similar to this one a few years back. Again, there looked to be some injury from a car, and was on the opposite side of the 'freak' antler. My understanding is that thus is typical.

typically it is damage to the testical whatever the cause. being only born with one nut, loosing a nut, both nuts, twisted up. many reasons. but its a stag not a freak. a lot of the time their antler growth is severely stunted and they will be in velvet for a long time... years even. they wont have a typical shed cycle and will keep their antlers for life. all this depending on the injury or reason why or where one or both of their nuts are. if there is something screwed up with that department they don't rut... their natural cycle is screwed up therefore no reason to grow and shed yearly. One i shot was a very feminine deer. It had long eye lashes, skinny neck compared to others, small body(which in turn made its antlers look a lot bigger). and typically a lot of the other deer i see with antler of such are also feminine. This instance is a little different compared to what i see it could possibly be a temporary breeding organs injury or simply bad genetics.

Mike

I have shot 2 bucks like that. I think its caused by damage to the back leg or nuts. We get alot of car hits where I live so its pretty common to see there racks like that. I have hit 5 deer this year with my jeep only one died right there. Deer are tough as hell.

thats a lot of deer you have wounded and lost this hunting season. i think you should change your tactics.

Funny you say that. I dont know if this is relevant but this deer had lots of ticks between his rear legs none in his arm pits or anywhere else. I wonder if the ticks are an indication of a problem like that? I have never seen ticks on a deer like that.

ticks are attracted to CO that the body emits, possibly if there is dead or wounded tissue they could move closer to that area

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.