CZ 550 22-250 Varmint Laminate Should Weigh.......

DONTSTROKEME

I am trying to tighten my groups from an informal bench...shown here..
100_0169.jpg

I am shooting best at .9045 for 5 shots at 100yards, and .2040 for 3 shots at 1000yards.

Thing is when I squeese the bipod bounces over to the right about 3" (at the feet). Not hurting, just annoying. My quest is what would be the best way to add weight to the stock...pics would be great. My idea is to remove wood from the front of the stock bottom and add weight there and drill the rear under the butt plate and add weight there.

I figure the rifle weighs 13# right now.

What type of weight have others used?

Joe Oakes

I would say the rifle is fine. It's your set up that needs work. Either get down in the dirt with a good sand sock under the rear or invest in a bench rest that you can lay on top of your tool box. "The Rock", which is sold at Midway, is not bad for the money. Personally, I like shooting prone because it mimics most field condition shots.

Your set up is not very stable, well it is and it isn't. The stablest position is always the one closest to the ground. Standing is not very good, even if you have a bipod. The lower your body, the better. Lay prone and try shooting some groups. I shoot prone w/bipod quite a bit after finding my loads. For developing laods I use a homemade bench that my uncle made, then I use a lead sled for the rifle to rest on. Sturdy for load development, and the lead sled makes shooting even RUMs easy all day. A lot of people use a rear rest when shooting prone w/bipod but I haven't. Seems like it would be even more steady though..Might need to invest in a rear rest of some sort.

I go along with what has already been said but, I'll add (as usual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

First with groups as your getting just about anything you shoot at smaller than a woof is dead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

To tighten the groups and to eliminate the jump to the right:

Number 1, I don't like the type of bypod you are using, though they are the most popular, as the feet are too close together. When you get down in the dirt, with larger calibers, you find that the rifle tends to roll up on the right leg. It doesn't affect point of impact much but you miss spotting the shot. Also the line of bore is way above the center line of the bipod support which also tends to support bipod movement.

Also a bit depends on your consistency during the firing process. As was said above, closer to the ground is better. Plus you grip with your fingers and the pressure of the base of you thumb and cheek weld are contributors to group consistency.

Additionally, the amount of pull into the shoulder by your right hand is important. Some don't pull, some free recoil and some people, like me, like to firmly set the butt firmly into the shoulder. All of this helpe to be able to spot the shot at whatever distance even with a braked 338 RUM which should be a given for a 22-250.

Take this for what its worth, as these are my personal preferences and can shoot some pretty good groups, but have missed my share of fur /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
you find that the rifle tends to roll up on the right leg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy, do you notice this with or without preloading the bipod legs?

I have noticed less roll by preloading. I suppose some of that may be due to barrel weight/length and caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.