CWD Now can Infect Humans.

There is NO DEFINITIVE causal link to CWD , just data that the person POTENTIALLY consumed deer infected with CWD. Circumstantial at best which in the medical epidemiological CANNOT be stated as definitive.

"CJD may be classified based on the mode of transmission. Sporadic CJD, the most common type (∼85%), is due to misfolding of normal PrP isoforms with no apparent triggers."

"Infectious CJD accounts for less than 1% of cases, and it arises from prion transmission by an external source. Subtypes of infectious CJD include kuru, iatrogenic CJD, and variant CJD. Kuru is a disease of Papua New Guinea's Fore people, who consumed the brains of dead relatives as part of ritualistic cannibalism before the practice was banned in the 1950s."

"CJD affects about 1 individual per million per year worldwide. Approximately 350 cases are diagnosed annually in the United States. Sporadic CJD is the most common form of human prion disease. The condition has a mean onset age of 62, although it has also been reported in younger and older age groups"

"Inherited CJD

Genetic CJD has phenotypic variability that may be attributed to the low penetrance of PRNPmutations. Patients with genetic CJD are usually younger than individuals with sporadic CJD, manifesting behavioral and cognitive changes initially, and incoordination and movement abnormalities over the next few months. A family history of similar neurologic manifestations may be elicited.

Inherited CJD is fatal, though the duration of illness varies individually. For example, Gerstmann–Straussler–Scheinker syndrome has a slow progression, and death may be delayed for up to 10 years.[32]"

The biggest factor in these diseases getting a foothold in a population is CANNIBALISM. So how did deer get it? Probably from cow mineral that used to contain ground up cow and who knows what else possibly even deer carcasses.
This is how it happened in Britain. Un-eatable cow parts being recycled back into cow food. Sounds like a good use of protein until you know what it does.

The biggest factor in these diseases getting a foothold in a population is CANNIBALISM. So how did deer get it? Probably from cow mineral that used to contain ground up cow and who knows what else possibly even deer carcasses.
This is how it happened in Britain. Un-eatable cow parts being recycled back into cow food. Sounds like a good use of protein until you know what it does.
They believe deer got it from sheep or goats where they happen to graze in the same fields together, from what I read. But again they are not 100 % sure.

In the cattle industry they separated the brain and spinal column from the processed meat to try and insure that no one gets mad cow disease.

Now in the processing of a deer with CWD if you cut on the spine or the brain it could be possible to get CJD.
For me I think I'd just be careful not to take deer in infected areas. I'm perfectly happy to eat other game or fish that I harvest. The crappie bite should be getting pretty hot in a month or so :)

For me I think I'd just be careful not to take deer in infected areas. I'm perfectly happy to eat other game or fish that I harvest. The crappie bite should be getting pretty hot in a month or so :)
Understandable, living in south Texas calf's brains are a food that some people have and love but after reading about a girl in England who got CJD and seeing the pictures of her 7 year decline to her death I stay away from anything to do with the brains or spine of an animal.

They believe deer got it from sheep or goats where they happen to graze in the same fields together, from what I read. But again they are not 100 % sure.
One of the hot bed topics is that it came from deer farms. What would they have been feeding to deer? Mineral supplements. I have wondered if the deer proceesors back in the day also sold deer carcasses to the same places that were using discarded cattle parts to make cattle supplements. A processing facility close to me usually does about 1500 deer every year. They also process many cattle sheep and hogs all year long. Back before the ban on animal based food supplements it would just make sense to me that buyers of left over carcass material would be buying all the carcasses they could get... cattlke sheep deer and hogs.
The ban was created way back after Britains mad cow epidemic. That is where the reuse of animal parts in feed is what was causing the mad cow disease. I have to sign a statement every year that my cattle have not been fed any feed containing animal parts.

Back to the deer and CWD. It was first found out west. Just stop and think though. How many salt blocks, salt/mineral blocks, and tub licks have farmers and hunters put "out in the wild" for both cattle and deer over the last 70 years. All of those supplements before the feed ban probably contained waste animal parts.

Understandable, living in south Texas calf's brains are a food that some people have and love but after reading about a girl in England who got CJD and seeing the pictures of her 7 year decline to her death I stay away from anything to do with the brains or spine of an animal.
There was a group of people from Indiana I think that had a high incidence of CJD. They determined it was from eating squirrel brains. That sounds crazy to me but I knew a lady who cooked her squirrels whole and then cracked the skull open to eat the brain.

I have read that to be Kosher certified no bones can be cut in the processing. So after knowing that eating brains and spinal material can be bad, I would say that deboning of the large muscles is the best practice to avoid possible contamination.

T bone steak anyone?

As far as I'm concerned I just try to weigh the risks involve verses quality of life. I've had to do the same with my Mom who has parkinsons. We decrese certain risks while still having a good/ great quality of life. So as far as CWD deer I'll try to avoid them. With mad cow disease I still ate beef, but I'm here in the US. Heck with many freshwater fish we got PCB's and mercury. I'm borderline diabetic as is my Mom. We eat ice cream in moderation. I feel it's better to be aware of the dangers and then weigh the risk/ reward.

If we get high rates of CWD out here in the west then I'll just not hunt the affected game for awhile. There's plenty of game out there to hunt. I'm glad I don't have a craving for sesos.

If we get high rates of CWD out here in the west then I'll just not hunt the affected game for awhile. There's plenty of game out there to hunt. I'm glad I don't have a craving for sesos.
My take is that yes CWD is a real disease that has been around for many decades. May have always been around for centuries. I am skeptical on two fronts with this disease.
1) I think it may be being used to get the public to go along with population reductions in areas that need it. Extra seasons and shoot more deer in CWD areas. It can especially help get non hunting people on board to reduce deer numbers. Oh.... they have a bad disease and we need to reduce the population to stop the spread....OK to shoot them then.
2) There are many biologist pushing big cats and wolves to reduce their numbers. One such GPS study out west shocked researchers. Collared cougars ate nothing but fawns for 6 months. DUH! Easy free tender meal. They didn't eat the sick as we have been told. I have even read studies that say that cats can get CWD but wolves can't. So therefore we need wolves introduced in almost all of the USA to stop CWD.

Proof????

Scientist had them in the same test facility as infected sheep.
The source/ground zero is well-documented.

If human kind doesn't destroy themselves via war, I'm a firm believer that scientists trying to play God will.

Wuhan anybody?