Cutting foam in new rifle case

If you put it in a soft case as suggested and then into the hard case be mindful of the hinges as over stressing them will damage it. What brand hard case did you get?

Here are some options to help you with making a decision.

A. Don't cut the foam
B. Cut the foam and dedicate it to that rifle or possibly another in you collection that is similar
C. Cut the foam and buy replacement foam you your other firesticks
D. Use a soft case inside a hard case at your own risk

But no matter what option you want to use DO NOT follow the example video. The firearm should never be cased with the scope facing the hinges. The scope should always be at the top where the handle is. Why, well when the case is closed and sitting on the small feet on the case edge all of the forces from movement, bumps-bangs and jarring are on the top of your scope. This is specially true if you hand you firearm over to an airline.

Just a suggestion would be to buy an inexpensive hand electric cutter, (not a carving knife) or a inexpensive wire cutter. I bought a wire cutter for $29.00 and cut my case foam. The other suggestion is how you will be uncasing it at a public range. I have all of my dedicated cases cut with the muzzle pointing downrange in the same direction.

Just my 2 cents.

I have used this place before and they are great......not cheap, but fits my gun like a glove.
Was able to design the case with spots for other items as well and upgraded to a much better foam material that does not hold moisture like the stuff that come in the standard Pelican/Storm cases.

V/R

We just bought Tuffpak cases for our upcoming trip to Africa for the very reason you guys are talking about traveling with rifles in soft cases.

Also the last trip by the time I made it home the gorillas that handle bags had broken all four locks on my pelican case. The Tuffpak has one recessed lock and can accommodate a heavy lock.

A Buddy of mine went on a sheep hunt to BC a few years back. He had some kind of Aluminum case with a rod through the hasps to lock. I told him it wasnt heavy enough or have enough padding before he left. It insulted him because I didnt like his case. Well, when he got back, lucky it was then instead of when he got to BC, The hinges were all broke, the rod was gone, and his rifle was a mess. It destroyed the scope, broke it from the mounts!! I think it was a Zeiss?? He tried to get relief from airline, I will give you 3 guesses how that went.
Anyway I talked him into a pelican and I cut the foam with my Electric foam cutter. He has ben to Alaska and then to Mexico where he finished his Grand Slam on sheep. Which I was fortunate enough to tag along on that one as an observer.
Anyway so far so good with the pelican. I just get another piece of foam and cut it for another rifle and accessories. Works great!

We just bought Tuffpak cases for our upcoming trip to Africa for the very reason you guys are talking about traveling with rifles in soft cases.

Also the last trip by the time I made it home the gorillas that handle bags had broken all four locks on my pelican case. The Tuffpak has one recessed lock and can accommodate a heavy lock.
I think they do it on purpose. I've gotten home and had to take a grinder to my locks because they were so beat up. I just wanted to get my rifles back in the safe.

I think they do it on purpose. I've gotten home and had to take a grinder to my locks because they were so beat up. I just wanted to get my rifles back in the safe.
The pelican cases have held up to 3 trips to Africa and one to Texas. The locks have had a tough go.

Purchased new rifle case need to cut foam to match rifle etc. Tried razor not working. Any suggestions. Thanks.
I used a razor blade knife. The type the has the blade that you brake off when it gets dull. Extend it all the way out, follow the instructions for marking/cutting and it will do the job just fine. I used this method on a Pelican Vault. I hope this helps.