Custom turret Elevation & Temp for Oregon

Texan in Oregon

Ok, how do you choose the best Elevation and temp for turrets as you cant have them all. Is there a sweet spot that people have figured out due to the inverse relationship between the two?? Any Oregon folks out there with their 2 cents?

I hunt the wet side on the coast. I had one built for 1000' elevation. Personally I would get one built for the area you hunt, if that includes both sides of the state, it would be worth the investment in multiple turrets.

Good tactical turret in MOA or mil, which ever you are most comfortable with; just dial it and you are good for anywhere, any weather, etc. If you must, just cut a piece of sick-on label to fit on the turret and make your own marks for that exact area. Apply a piece of clear tape over it and no problems. I use the label paper for hunting in Co, then take it off for shooting home in NC. If you run a range card using JBM you will see altitude is the dominant factor, so you need to be cautious trying to settle for one turret.

These are the tools I use for my ballistics solutions along with the applied ballistics app on my phone or shooter app.

I get to where I am hunting and apply the current environmental conditions in my ballistics calculator I then use this info to create a hard data copy. (Takes less time than you think)

I am then set if I plan on covering 2000 feet in elevation or the temp swings hard I double check my data and roll again.

I've had bad experiences with batteries. ..but like most things the better info you have to work with the better your solution.

If I am taking a shot beyond 1000 yards I break out all the toys and work on a specific solution for that shot.

Custom turrets may get the job done, but I want the most up to date info I can get my hands on.

Attachments

• 20140706_132348.jpg
    20140706_132348.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 116
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.