Custom rifle cost going to the moon , when does it end ?

Another funny thing is that the most expensive stuff is custom made and "bespoke" but you can't really do much R&D on a one off action or part so you are actually going to find better features and quality in "mass produced" products which come with competitive pricing too.

Of course, it's not a linear relationship because if it was, the cheapest mass produced rifles would be the highest quality and best features but that's not true so there really is a sweet spot between the lowest cost option and the most expensive.

My Lone Peaks would disagree :cool:
What you paid for your lone peak, is close to what I have into this build. But I have a couple lone peaks too! They make a nice action. This is a 7 Sherman max on an early gen razor ti long action.
IMG_20200413_204609.jpg

What you paid for your lone peak, is close to what I have into this build. But I have a couple lone peaks too! They make a nice action. This is a 7 Sherman max on an early gen razor ti long action. View attachment 189587
I think my SS is a little smoother than my TI.

If we're going by smoothness per price, a pawn shop Ruger American might win....and those feel like rubbing gravel over courser gravel🤣

From memory...
McMillan stock - $600
Stiller action - $1000
McGowan Remage barrel - $350
Trigger - $150
Brake - $150
Bottom Metal - $50
Mag box - $50
Pillar/bedding material - $30
Remage nut - $30
Total - $2410

This built the most accurate long range rifle I own. I had to set headspace and pillar bed the stock myself. That's it.

If you're not a DIY like me I can see $3-4K being reasonable. If you offer something really differentiated like Fiftydriver I'd pay a level above that if I had the need. But the OP's prices can't be explained by performance.

As with all expensive items, prices will never drop until demand does.

We all know that unless you're dealing with fine wood and engraving a $2500 rifle will do as well as a far more expensive one.

Myself, I like blue and fine wood. Used guns of real quality from famous makers can be bought for what people are putting into machine made guns these days.

My latest foray has been "long range" shotguns, specifically single trap guns. The bargains are amazing, Latest example a "bespoke" gun from a very low output custom smith in the early 20th century. Cost no more than a Cooper rifle. The engraving alone would be many 1000s today.

So buy what you want and can afford and realize there are always guys with deeper pockets to whom a $12,000.00 rifle is "chump change".

IMG_3207.png

IMG_3210.png

Gunwerks?

Oh my God you nailed it man!
I just listened to a Gunwerks podcast with that D bag Brozovich guy from Long Range Only.
They were pumping out the bs about how the $7000 Gunwerks "Turnkey" rifles were actually cheaper than a "gather the parts custom build" once you factored in time and load development.
P lease!
The last time I heard that kind of blatent bias I was watching CNN

The only guy I've met who bought one of the "big branded" rifles was a person who was retired. He wanted that turnkey, shoot a few shots to confirm the zero on his rifle each year, and trusted their charts. He bought 1k rounds from them along with his rifle. When he went through all of his rounds after a few years of hunting and shooting he called them for another big ammo order. When the rounds showed up with a different bullet (newer design) he sent the gun back to them to build all new charts for him. He had the money, less time, and lacked the knowledge to be gathering his own data, and honestly had no interest in the shooting part. He liked to hunt and I think he REALLY liked telling people he ran into at outfitter's that he's good to a thousand yards. He thought he could buy credibility.

There's a market out there for everyone. Personally half the fun for me is researching parts for the next build.

Oh my God you nailed it man!
I just listened to a Gunwerks podcast with that D bag Brozovich guy from Long Range Only.
They were pumping out the bs about how the $7000 Gunwerks "Turnkey" rifles were actually cheaper than a "gather the parts custom build" once you factored in time and load development.
P lease!
The last time I heard that kind of blatent bias I was watching CNN
Broz is extremely helpful to long range shooters, is extremely practiced and probably kills as many or more animals at long range as anyone else walking this earth.

you're reading into what they were saying. I have interacted with Jeff quite a bit with questions both good and dumb and he has never been a dbag. Time to pump the brakes.

I hear The David Miller Company makes a nice rifle....and they do. So so many guys operating closer to the cost of the parts.

My last build.....
Savage 12 BVSS
Jard Trigger
TPS rings & bases
MDT Chassie
Rock Creek Blank
MBM Brake
Gunsmith Work

under $3000 before the optic.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.