Custom rifle cost going to the moon , when does it end ?

You can get a gunwerks for 5-7k. Ppl are just crapping on about the Skhull rifle. And it's prices are not true reflection of the whole companies pricing. It has engraving and custom wood/carbon blend. It's not for everyone but nor did they pitch it as being so. They have budget options.

Luke

I have nothing against Gunwerks. Not in that fight. Just wanted to point out that it is possible to build a reasonably priced custom rifle.

I just built my own custom hunting rifle. As a gunsmith I'm sort of like the guy that builds your street rod. My guns are always piece meal left overs but don't shoot against me with them because they all shoot awesome. Just like the street rod guys cars don't have paint jobs and have torn seats but they will kick your but in a Drag race. So my custom cost 700 for a Gunwerks action. 675 for a proof carbon barrel. 350 for a slightly used McMillan htg. But would cost around 550. A ptg bottom metal. 75 bucks. Mag box and follower 60 bucks. And a 200 dollar box and Andy trigger. So less than 2300 for parts. If I charged myself labor it would be 400 more. So 2700 for a full custom. 2500 because I used a stock I had bought for 350. So a full custom with carbon fiber barrel and McMillan stock great trigger custom action all for about half the price of what you see customs for. I just don't know they can charge another 2500 for the build. That's like 3000 dollars profit for less than 500 dollars of smithing. I charge my customers for the work I do. I charge 200 for a chamber job that includes finishing. 50 more if you want a break when I crown it. 200 for a full Piller bed. I'm not going to charge for putting a trigger in. I do that anyway. There really isn't to much more on a custom.
I couldn't sleep if I charged that much for a custom. There is just not 3000 dollars of work there. Period.
Shep

I just built my own custom hunting rifle. As a gunsmith I'm sort of like the guy that builds your street rod. My guns are always piece meal left overs but don't shoot against me with them because they all shoot awesome. Just like the street rod guys cars don't have paint jobs and have torn seats but they will kick your but in a Drag race. So my custom cost 700 for a Gunwerks action. 675 for a proof carbon barrel. 350 for a slightly used McMillan htg. But would cost around 550. A ptg bottom metal. 75 bucks. Mag box and follower 60 bucks. And a 200 dollar box and Andy trigger. So less than 2300 for parts. If I charged myself labor it would be 400 more. So 2700 for a full custom. 2500 because I used a stock I had bought for 350. So a full custom with carbon fiber barrel and McMillan stock great trigger custom action all for about half the price of what you see customs for. I just don't know they can charge another 2500 for the build. That's like 3000 dollars profit for less than 500 dollars of smithing. I charge my customers for the work I do. I charge 200 for a chamber job that includes finishing. 50 more if you want a break when I crown it. 200 for a full Piller bed. I'm not going to charge for putting a trigger in. I do that anyway. There really isn't to much more on a custom.
I couldn't sleep if I charged that much for a custom. There is just not 3000 dollars of work there. Period.
Shep

I am not and should not ever be a gunsmith. The precision that goes into your trade done well is impressive. I have a build in process right now. I bought the parts myself so here is approximate cost without any gunsmith charges. Shipping and some tax is estimated into the cost of each part.

Bighorn SR3 action: 1400.00
McMillan Hunter Edge fill: 750.00
Bartlien non-fluted barrel: 375.00
Hawkins Oberndorf Bottom Metal: 175.00
Timney Calvin Elite trigger: 200.00
Mag follower and spring , Metal box thing that surrounds the follower and spring: 50.00

So I am 2950.00 in on parts bought retail and not sure what the gunsmith services will cost. Expensive and overkill for the hunting that I do but I am looking forward to getting it.

That's a great parts list. Should be one sweet rig. Find a smith in your area that builds br guns and it will shoot.
Shep

At $400 a rifle, you need to build 125 per year to make 50k a year. Factor in taxes, liability, insurance, tooling cost, equipment, ext the list goes on... You would be out of business before you even started. Now, if your not doing it to make a living, are not insured or paying the IRS that should be stated. Because once the IRS takes their cut your building a rifle for less than $300. That price is probably the best in the country.

Last edited:
At $400 a rifle, you need to build 125 per year to make 50k a year. Factor in taxes, insurance, tooling cost, equipment, ext the list goes on... You would be out of business before you even stated. Now, if your not doing it to make a living, are not insured or paying the IRS that should be stated. Because once the IRS takes their cut your building a rifle for less than $300. That price is probably the best in the country.
[/QUOTE

I am am guessing that my gunsmith will be over 1000. Just not sure how much more.

What is your gunsmith going to do that cost 1000 dollars. He's going to chamber your barrel. Going to Piller bed the stock. Put on your trigger. If he charged you 500 for chambering and 500 for bedding then he is the most expensive smith I know.
I didn't need to make 50000 a yr from my business. I'm a retired 100% disabled veteran. So my business was just adding to my families income. I know how business runs our other store has been open 25 yrs.
When I build a rifle for someone I charge the going rate for the work I did. Not a penny more. There should be no upcharge because it's custom.
When I was getting 500 for putting a rifle together I was just fine with it. About 8 total hrs of work for 500 is pretty good money where I live. On ctk build above it's a custom action that will not require truing. The McMillan stock should already have the proper barrel channel and inletting for the bottom metal. It's a simple build. 500 bucks tops to put it together. If it more than that ask why. Itemize the work done. Do the math.
Shep

What is your gunsmith going to do that cost 1000 dollars. He's going to chamber your barrel. Going to Piller bed the stock. Put on your trigger. If he charged you 500 for chambering and 500 for bedding then he is the most expensive smith I know.
I didn't need to make 50000 a yr from my business. I'm a retired 100% disabled veteran. So my business was just adding to my families income. I know how business runs our other store has been open 25 yrs.
When I build a rifle for someone I charge the going rate for the work I did. Not a penny more. There should be no upcharge because it's custom.
When I was getting 500 for putting a rifle together I was just fine with it. About 8 total hrs of work for 500 is pretty good money where I live. On ctk build above it's a custom action that will not require truing. The McMillan stock should already have the proper barrel channel and inletting for the bottom metal. It's a simple build. 500 bucks tops to put it together. If it more than that ask why. Itemize the work done. Do the math.
Shep
I see your point on pricing but a person that is not retired and that does not have a home shop can not make a living this way if you have to pay rent on a shop, insurance water and trash pick up electric ,equipment maintenance tooling that does wear out overtime phone bill and possibly some help sales tax and other little expenses I am sure I missed my smith is like you he is retired and does it to stay out of the house and pay for hunting trips and the cost of his own rifles on a trued rem action and me supplying parts the cost is about 650 this is him truing the action chambering and bedding they always go in McMillan stocks that have the pillars so the bedding is rather simple and him providing the lug on a custom action the cost is about 150 cheaper

The going rate to put a barrel on is 200 to 250. The going rate for Piller bedding is 200 to 250. Doesn't matter what shop you go to. If someone is going to charge you more because you brought them all the parts that's not right. Go get the barrel put on at one smith and pay him and then take your barreled action to another and get it bedded. Cost 400 to 500. Or pay your smith 1000. I'm sure he welcomes the extra 500 dollar bonus. Or just because we tossed your build around bring it to me and I will do it for free. Only thing is you have to stay and watch me do it.
Shep

Last edited:
I have Cerakote and shipping in that estimate. I also believe that not all gunsmiths are the same and have the right to charge whatever they want to charge. 1000.00 for labor still gets you in much cheaper than branded custom rifles. I also have nothing against branded customs. I cannot easily afford a branded custom rifle like a GAP, Gunwerks and found a gunsmith that has treated me fairly and whose work is outstanding. I have heard many positive comments on Mr. Wheeler's work as well. I have no idea what he charges but he does not seem to lack business.

My friend got 2 rifles from Alex and I thought the prices were what they should have been. One had custom paint and one have alot of work on the action. One Alex barreled and one I barreled. They shot great. Adding ceracoat and shipping both ways brings that 1000 to a more reasonable price. Those 2 things were not on your list. And yes you will be well under the TV gun prices and it will look and shoot just as good. Sounds like a solid build.
Shep

This build is identical to a 6.5x47 that the same gunsmith (Jon Beanland) built. for me 2 or 3 years ago. Only difference is long action (280ai), SR3 vs. SR2, and the color of the stock. I am looking forward to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.