Custom Rifle Build Mentors Required Please

NZVarminter

OK, The re barreling of my 243 to 260 Rem hasn't been a painless experience, but I have learned from it so I've decided to move on and now build up a long range rifle with a custom action and barrel.

At this stage I'm thinking 6.5*284, 284 or 7mm SAUM. My aim is for an "accurate" light weight rifle capable out to 600-700yds on Deer.

I suppose my criteria for "accurate" is being able to consistently shoot 3 shot 1/2" groups at 100yds.

I'd like to keep the bare rifle weight to no heavier than 6 1/2 lbs if possible as I will fit a suppressor and thats another 1 lb hanging off the end of the barrel and severely affects balance.

I'm left handed so want a left bolt/left port configuration, which complicates matters a little. Looking on www.6mmBr.com and reading their review of custom actions, it looks like its only the Barnard SM and Bordon Alpine actions are available in LB/LP configuration and Rem 700 size.

So my questions are:

1) Will the 6.5*284 cartridge fit in the Barnard SM or Bordon Alpine actions. The Barnard site indicates it will take a H-S Precision 5 and 10 shot mag assembly, and I have read that these mags are long enough for the 6.5*284, but the H-S site doesn't say if the mags a 2.8 OAL or longer. They also list a flush mag, but is this interchangeable with the 5-10 shot mags??. The Bordon site lists an Alpine Mag options with the Wyatt length repeater, so assume it is long enough, but I don't want a mag bolt face.

2) Neither of these actions comes with a safety, so I assume the after market Rem triggers come with safety's?

3) I'm considering a Christensen Arms carbon wrapped barrel to keep the weight down. Anyone had experience with these??? Are they as good as they claim for reducing weight and barrel heat??

4) My pick would probably be the Bordon on looks anyway, but I'm not too keen on a 26 week wait. Does anyone hold these actions in stock??

5) Any other actions I should look at???

Thanks in advance

Grant

Lawton

Have a look at Lawton barrels and actions. I would go with the 7mm Rem Saum as that is exactly what I use. I am also assuming that large deer like Reds abd Wapiti are on your list if so the 7mm short mag is definatley a big step up over the 6.5's.

Have a rem model 7 mag profile fitted and 22" is enough. and with a light manners or lone wolf stock will get you down in weight.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Well in sporters I have BAT's, Stolle, and Stiller and my favorite is the Stolle Kodiak... I like the integrated rail to use the Kelby or Speedy Rings... All are smooth as glass but the lightest is the Stolle...

From a cost standpoint the Stiller is the way to go and I have several Predators as well as the TAC versions...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.