building a custom rifle

Tony dooley

I have always wonted a high end rifle ! so as i am past the half century mark in age !!!! I am going to build that rifle !!!! For the first step
I have to make the choice for a receiver think i will go with a savage target receiver left port right bolt ! then comes the barrel this is going to be the hardest choice of all ! There are so many great barrel companys out there !!!! This is where i contact them to see if they will camber for the round i wont to use !!! I am going to use a Smally MicPherson round Iam dead set on trying there 25-60 SMc round !!!!! That is the reason for contacting the barrel company"s !!! I found out all will make a barrel for any round but some keep the reamer that you have to supply! Now as for the barrel it will be a shelin !!!! They and Pac-Nor both were great to talk to !!! Now for the final peace of the build the stock . I am going with h-s precision they have a stock that looks great and it is a very strong layed up kind with a milled cradel stayel alum support system ! I am not going to get into the reloading side at this time there is to much to go into at this point ! So what do you rifle guys think of this build ??? Any sugestion are every welcome

IMO you are going about this a little backwards.

Just because you pick a barrel mftr, does not mean that they have to do the chambering. Just buy the blank for a savage with or without the nut.

Then go to the Superior Ballistics website and they list a lot of very good smiths who can chamber and stock their SMc reamers. That way no reamer charge and same cost for chambering. That site also lists contact info for dies if they do not have them in stock themselves.

BH

Bo
thanks for the reply ! I have been i contact with both sheiln, Pac-Nor and Hart barrels they all requier you to buy the reamer and have it sent to them. when the barrel is finished you get the barrel but only sheiln said they would retrun the reamer with it ! as for Mic and By i am up to about 30 or so e-mails with them !!! they are a paire of really great guys that are so helpful that it makes you think your talking to your next door neaborigh !!!! All that I know about how and when for this build is from them !!! This is why I have started in the way i have . The one thing I do know is i am going to have to order a bolt face from savage because the round 25x60 SMc is based on the 416 rigbe ! that means if i cant get a bolt face from savage i will have to have my wsm bolt face opened up to fit !!! I am not looking forward to that because there is only one gunsmith that dose things like that around here !!!!! They are the reason I became a gunsmith so I didnt have to use them !!! airogant SOB's !!!!!!! Here in central west Michigan thier are every few gunsmiths and for the most part I would'nt let them wipe my barrel off to keep the rust off !!!! Verey pooor selction ! anyway this is where I am once thanks for the reply

That's a great choice for a stock, Tony, love it when I hear a fellow plan the stock in the build! We get calls all the time from guys that just barreled an action and find no stocks to fit.

We have been carrying that unit since they released it last winter and the feedback has been excellent.

- Stocky

stocky
Sounds like you work for HS ???? Yea I have put a few minutes researching all of the parts that i am going to use !! believe it or not you have to phone savage there e-mail is down ! So i have called them about 5 times so far !! For a big company they will help you out if you ask !!! I think so far there has not been one company that i have called or e-mailed that has not been very helpful ! You just dont hear about that sort of thing much ! So i do my best to let every one know about it !!!!!! as for the list lets start with superior ballistic's By and Mic are two of the best guys i have had the oppertunity to have contact with !!!! Pac-Nor barrels awsome Sheiln Barrles awsome RCBS super Hart barrels awsome Savage custom shop awsome !!!! and the list goes on . Oh almost forgot HS persision !!!!! I have all there phone numbers and all there e-mail address's . If any one wonts to do a build anyone of these company's will help and not steer you wrong !!!!!

stocky
Sounds like you work for HS ???? !!!!!

It does? We are one of their 5 stock distributors. (I do not think the other 4 carry all of their stocks like we do, especially the 3-screw.)

FYI, the target action is still the 4.40" screw spacing if you omit the center screw, so the option exists to use any blind magazine stock albeit with some modification depending on the stock. Most obvious of which is to fill the mag well and drill for the 3rd screw, or simply omit screw#3. May be others of which I am not aware.

Most popular alternatives would be the following:

Long Range Varmint (LRV) Remington 700 BDL Savage 10/12 (4.40") Laminated Thumbhole BBC Riflestock - this is a stock we had specially designed and produced by S&K Gunstocks for the new 4.40" short action varmints and tacticals. 14 colors in hi-gloss and satin finishes in stock.

Bell & Carlson A2 Style Remington 700 SPS BDL Savage 10 12 110 Weatherby Vanguard Howa 1500 Vertical Grip Tactical Medalist Series 2092, 2096, 2980, 2997, 2998 & 2999 - this is the most popular vertical grip design, cut for blind magazines.

If you like the H-S design definitely stick with it, it's a great stock and would be a drop-in. Just offering some creative choices here and don't want to sound biased. We have customers that have used all 3 for similar purposes.

To the OP.

First, good luck on your quest. 2nd, if you want a great barrel call this guy:

Mark Chanlynn
Rocky Mountain Rifle Works
Longmont, CO

All the Best,

Chad

Chad Dixon
Gunmaker

To all replys
thanks for all the info guys !!! Guess what, you have made what i thought was going to be a simple thing turn in to a very hard choice !!!!! No not so it just makes it a bit more interesting !!! I am one that the more i k now the better !!! So once again thanks !!!!gun)lightbulb:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.