Custom pig rifle

Managed to get hold of a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan in 375R, left hand. only 100 or so of them where built apparently.... will have the barrel pulled and a stainless 338WM conversion done with a recoil reducer in the stock together with limbsaver.

also have a nice "brushed" finish done on the stainless action and barrel by Wayne from AHR. Looking at 22 or 21" barrel. Has a nice grey laminated stock, so not much else needs to be done.. would call it semi-custom.:D

The reducer and limbsaver should tame the recoil. I want to use 210g Partitions exclusively in this rifle and I think thats as close as one can get to the perfect pig rifle!

small light can get it in lefthand stainless custom and good value for the price
ULTRA LIGHT ARMS i have 2 and both shoot great for semi custom guns.
1 that would work great for you would be 1 i have in 35-30 [ 30 rem necked up to 35 ] it likes 200 north forks and the new TTSX 180 gr. going 2430 fps zeroed at 200 it is 9" low at 300 yrds plenty flat enough for anybody at those ranges. its now been to africa twice and never had to pull the trigger twice. recoil is not bad at all and it is only 5 lbs. 1 1/2 oz. ready to shoot with leupold 1.75x6 on top

Attachments

• 35-30 002.JPG
    35-30 002.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 35-30 004.JPG
    35-30 004.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 90
that is a great lightweight package to carry in the bush all day, good alround set up, you will hardly need another rifle .... what is the barrel lenght of the rifle you posted?

What about the ruger scout rifle in 308win. If you don't mind a forward mounted scope. Would be nice with an eotech or aim point with a 3x magnifier mounted to a flip over also.

Hi 1Ton.... I have a few 30 cal's, lever actions and smaller cal's, of which has developed into an African game battery over the years, excluding the big an dangerous stuff. I have only hunted in Africa, not having the funds to spoil myself with a trip abroad. However, due to relocation to OZ soon, I have thought long and hard over an allround pig and other vermin rifle.

Can't seem to get past the reality that it has to be a meduim bore .... don't want another 308, as my win. mod. 88 should be as close to a good 30 cal pig rifle as you can get for a lefty.... and the fact of the matter is, judging from numerous forum's that I have read... PIGS ARE GETTIN BIGGER AND BIGGER!! and if you don't have the stopping power, you will be (1) spending time head first in a bush a lot of the time looking for wouned hog's ... or (2) endanger youself if on the ground facing a wounded pig.

I have read a lot of articles on guys with years of experience on pig's, and the one common thread I picked up was that they all recommend larger than 30 cal rifles, sure you can take pig's with almost anything given the circumstances.. but a meduim bore has it all, and I have yet to find someone who strongly disagrees with that..

Now ...if you think fast and flat/ knock down/ factory ammo, in meduim bore ... there is really only one option ... 338 win mag! I have hunted warthog and bush pig in Africa ... and without exception the action has always been fast and plenty ..unlike a trophy hunt where you might use a few rounds going after a prize buck ... I have seldom returned with more than a handfull of rounds, and a quick pop into a gunshop can keep you going if they have your cal on the shelf...

well porker you found that guy that will tell he does not like big medium bore guns on pigs.
there is a storie why. i have hunted well over a 100 hogs over the years and all fell to shotguns but a few. most were 20g slug at night with dogs on a ranch that we may or may not of had permission to be on lol. of those 1 or 2 with a 45 colt 1911. these are all at 10-20 ft. i have never even shot a wild boar with a rifle in any size .

the rifle in the pic you ask about is 22" barrel

now that being said you will find many rifles that will fill that need . it will come down to what you like not what i like. this thing about flat shooting is all hog wash
learn your gun and where to hold over and there all the same. none repeat none
of them are lazers you will need to hold over at 300 yrds if it is a 338 win mag or a 358 win. 1 will just have a little different hold over . so who really cares if they need to hold over 8 1/2" @ 300 yrds or 9" with the rifle sighted in @ 200
if you like to reload and get the enjoyment out of shooting a gun you had custom made and using your custom loaded rounds like i do then a gun like i wrote about is ideal. but if you do not like to load then this is the wrong rifle

so you it will come down to what you like and need in the end.
'

aaaa ..you sir, the one who makes us other pig hunters feel inadequate! ... and dare I say .. the great mystery regarding this promotion of small calibers on pig's has been revealed!!:rolleyes: it's due to clandestine operations at ghostly hours on another's ranch! small cal ... low noise!:D

if I use the 210g partition ... what hold over at 300 yards will be required if zero is done at 200 yards ... hav'nt checked the balistics calculater yet ...

this little 35 shoots the 180gr TTSX very well for a hunting bullet zero @ 200
is 9" low at 300 yrds. which on most wild boar at that range would be close to level with its back gun) and you will be putting meat into the freezer
thats if you are shooting in the daylight hours:D

I work for a firearms distributor, it sounds like you found the perfect rifle. but for those others who may be interested, Remington's LE division makes a left handed .308 parkerized 700 on an HS Precision stock with a 20" fluted heavy barel. it isnt in any of their catalogs, but I know they make them. We have them in stock.

I work for a firearms distributor, it sounds like you found the perfect rifle. but for those others who may be interested, Remington's LE division makes a left handed .308 parkerized 700 on an HS Precision stock with a 20" fluted heavy barel. it isnt in any of their catalogs, but I know they make them. We have them in stock.

ddelogo .... are ya sweet talking my decision on the 338 WM or the "poacher's" 308?:rolleyes:

just had a chance to use this little 35 a cpl days ago on a mule deer hunt
i used the 180 TTSX going at 2430 with the gun zeroed at 200 yrds
buck was 190 so no hold over at all. 1 shot and a cpl steps and now its heading into my freezer.:D
also had a whitetail doe tag and and took 1 of them at 212 yrds with the same results. yes this is way more gun then i would need to do this but this is 1 of the rifles that my best friend just left me when he passed away. i was thinking it would be nice to remember him on 1 more deer hunt.

Attachments

• saco bucks 2012 002.JPG
    saco bucks 2012 002.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 90
Hey Porker, I think I would go with the 338 fed. before I went with the win. , after all why get all that xtra kick when it's not needed. Remember you're hunting pigs not grizz. The fed. is a short action round that won't boot ya any more than your 308 and you can put it together in a nice light weight package. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.