Custom M1 turrets on smaller Leupy scopes?

Alan Griffith

Putting together a CZ550 in 9.3x62 for Alaska Grizzly/Dall Sheep and am toying with the idea of taking a VXII in 2x7, VXIII's in either 1.75x6 or 2.5x8 and having the custom shop add the M1 turrets.

Any thoughts or experiences?

I may be mistaken, but I think you have to have a scope with a 30mm tube to have M1 knobs put on by the Custom shop.

Yes, it can be done. Here in Canada our Leupold custom shop can not work on Mark 4 scopes due to a lack of specialized equipment for purging, but they can install the M1 turrets on the 1" VXII and III's and it's become quite popular from WIU. I think that the combo of a 3-9X40 VXII with M1's and mildot would be a nice compromise for one who didn't want to spend a huge amount of money but still wanted quality in a precision scope.

Just had it done last summer on a 1" VariXIII 4.5-14 for my Sendero in 300 RUM. It costs about $175. The only downside is there are no marks indicating left, right, up, or down. I used a silver metallic sharpie, but I wish I would have had the custom shop do something. They do engraving, so it shouldn't be a problem. I would go with a III as, from my experience, they have better adjustments. One word of caution, the turrets turn fairly easily so you need to be careful not to spin them during stalks, etc. Check them often. With the magnification range you are looking at and the kind of hunt you are doing, you might look at the Boone and Crocket reticle. I have this on my pack rifle and love it. It works great out to 600 Yards and I am working up charts to dial from there using the 500 yard hash. Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.