Custom gunsmith recommendation

JC in Calif. Mike did a great job on my last build and turned it around in 28 days. So far I have only broke it in. It shot a couple small groups during the process tho.
Mike has build a number of different rifles for me. Big game, varmint, bench rest.......all are shooters.

Kenny Jarrett @ JARRETT RIFLES, Jackson SC. From prairie dog to ELEPHANT, Kenny and his rifles have killed them ALL!!

Last edited:
I think the term long range is different. Even my light guns shoot great to 500. It's when you get out farther it make it hard.
I have many rifles that will take game long have taken elk and deer over a 1000 yds with different rifles. One of my favorite is a 338 laupa improved . It has a defiance action a 30 inch Broughton barrel it is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. The load is 106 gr reloaded 33 a 300 gr Bullet gives me 3200 fps. It is easy to make killing shots past 1500 yds. Just for your information I won several 1000 yd matches a gold medal at Camp Perry Ohio. What I was address was about the gentleman gun build.
I think the term long range is different. Even my light guns shoot great to 500. It's when you get out farther it make it hard.

I have many rifles that will take game long have taken elk and deer over a 1000 yds with different rifles. One of my favorite is a 338 laupa improved . It has a defiance action a 30 inch Broughton barrel it is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. The load is 106 gr reloaded 33 a 300 gr Bullet gives me 3200 fps. It is easy to make killing shots past 1500 yds. Just for your information I won several 1000 yd matches a gold medal at Camp Perry Ohio. What I was address was about the gentleman gun build.

I think your reading skills need a bit of a brush up. Never did I say you can't shoot as many on here know I'm not the greatest shot but my point still stands. Distance matters for light weight, my larger .375 Allen mag is super easy to shoot over 500 but my light weight builds are much harder.
That's all I was getting at. Light weight rifles are harder to shoot at distances but easy to pack. My light weight are also my favorite rigs but they have limits so depending what n his use may matter that's all I was saying.
Don't want him to think you can build an ultra light and think he will eventually be able to learn to shoot long range.

Last edited:
Just got back two barreled actions from LRI (Long Rifles Inc). 6.5 x .284, and a .33 Nosler. The whole process is logged, photos taken, and updates emailed. I've had several rifles done by them, and happy as hell every time.

Hi folks,

Long time lurker here. I hunt out west in NE and am looking at a custom build.

Thinking of going with predator action and a carbon wrapped barrel.

Any recommendations?

Thank you
personally, i recommend benchmark barrels to build your rifle. they are all lr shooters, barrels are on many top competitors rigs and are used by many top gun builders /smiths. any action, chasis or stock, trigger. talk to Kourtney or Ron or Bill. you will like price as well

Try Kirby Allen, he is excellent, post quite often here. Go to APSRifels.com and check out his website. Last time I checked he has fairly long lead times cause he's so sought after for builds. He won't steer you wrong.