Custom Dies ?

MontanaRifleman

I am getting a Sendero 300 RUM and I would like to get some custom dies for it and i would like some opinions.

First, what kind of life can I expect from the stock barrel?

Would it be feasible to have a reamer made with the dies so when the stock barrel needs to be replaced I can use the reamer for a custom barrel and keep the custom dies?

Right now I am thinking of going with Niel Jones since he has been highly recommended to me. I dont know if he makes reamers yet. Does anyone have any other recommendations, especially for a die maker here in Montana?

Thanks,

Mark

For your factory chambered 300 RUM a custom die won't do you too much. A good set of Redding Dies will work great. Once you re-barrel you could have a custom die cut with the chamber reamer and then your die will match your chamber. It all depends on how hard you push them and the accuracy you expect to get out of it, from your factory barrel you should see at least 1000 rounds or more. Sorry, I can't help you out on a die maker in Montana though.

Kevin,

Don't you mean a die made with a resize reamer?

A chamber reamer will not give any sizing at all and is not normally used for that as it will not size the brass. The resize reamer is normally undersize and used to make the dies.

You can order custom dies from forester now and others with about an 8 week turn around.

If you have a cartridge that has a Redding body bump die ($25), then send it and 10 pieces of 2x fired brass to JLC Precision, Jim Carstenson and for $80 he will custom hone it to your chamber and convert it to a FL size die with shoulder bushings and normally only 2-3 weeks door to door.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.