Custom Bolt Work

JohnyRingo

I kicking around having some custom bolt work done on my Browning XBolt Stainless Stalker, if I can find someone who can do the work.

My first priority is to have a custom bolt knob installed because the factory knob is too small and too tight to the stock. I am no machinist, but this doesn't look easy because of the shape of the factory XBolt bolt handle. I have emailed quite a few guys who do this kind of work to see if they can do it and I'm waiting to hear back.

While researching bolt handles, most of these guys also do bolt fluting, which is purely cosmetic. I did read somewhere that after fluting, the bolt will need to be timed.

Am I just messing with something that shouldn't be messed with or has someone with an XBolt had this work done?

Fluting a bolt will not require timing it at all. Like saying jewelling it will require timing. It is cosmetic, but does have the benefit of channeling debris to help prevent binding of the bolt.

You might try Chad Dixon of Long Rifles LLC or Karl Kampfield of Kampfield custom. If they won't do it they might know someone who will.

What CA48 said. If those two won't do what you want, I'd be very cautious of anyone else that says "no problem "

Looks like LRI will flute an X-bolt bolt body, but not sure on if they will modify the bolt handle.

C21EEEFF-4454-4382-88C8-0D7846AE9A35.png

Twisted Barrels said he could put a tactical knob on my XBolt but couldn't flute the bolt. I don't care about fluting the bolt as much as replacing the knob. He gets good reviews so I may go that route.

LRI did my bolt and knob work with a quick turnaround. They were super easy to deal with and if they cant do what you need they can point you in the right direction.

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20181221-175443_Samsung_Internet(1).jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20181221-175443_Samsung_Internet(1).jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 295
Fluting a bolt will not require timing it at all. Like saying jewelling it will require timing. It is cosmetic, but does have the benefit of channeling debris to help prevent binding of the bolt.
I kicking around having some custom bolt work done on my Browning XBolt Stainless Stalker, if I can find someone who can do the work.

My first priority is to have a custom bolt knob installed because the factory knob is too small and too tight to the stock. I am no machinist, but this doesn't look easy because of the shape of the factory XBolt bolt handle. I have emailed quite a few guys who do this kind of work to see if they can do it and I'm waiting to hear back.

While researching bolt handles, most of these guys also do bolt fluting, which is purely cosmetic. I did read somewhere that after fluting, the bolt will need to be timed.

Am I just messing with something that shouldn't be messed with or has someone with an XBolt had this work done?

No no. Bad experience on my end!!

Several years ago I had some work done to a Remington bolt. Not going to get into the work or who but when it was all said and done I had to buy a new bolt. The guy that did it was well known throughout the gun community and as far as I am concerned cost me a lot of time and aggravation. Lesson learned the hard way. Cluster.
Anyway, It's like any thing else once you work on it it will never be the same whether it's good or bad. So if the thing shoots leave it alone is my advice. If u want an fancy bolt then buy the complete gun with already one installed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.