Custom Barrels

A_Baker

What after market barrel is preferable on a long range rig. Every after market barrel maker makes there product sound good,but which one is a consistent good?

I would choose between Bartlein, Kreiger or Lilja. IMO, I would go with the Bartlein. They are making some awesome barrels.

Krieger is who I use on my competition rifles and on my sporters. There is a reason why they have long lead times but if you are lucky someone might have what you need in stock..

Krieger is who I use on my competition rifles and on my sporters. There is a reason why they have long lead times but if you are lucky someone might have what you need in stock..

I agree with both comments from above, but would add that I started using Rock barrels and I am VERY impressed with thier 5r barrels as well. Ron Tilley

I would pick Krieger as my top.
Make that choice because of several smith's I know and their experiences and dealing with other makers.
I have used Broughton, Lawton, Shilen, Douglas, and a new barrel maker with an old name McGowen with good success.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.