Custom .280 AI build for $2k

Trued Rem Action and trigger: $830

Bottom Metal & mag parts:
$150

Remage Barrel and Cerakoting: $700

Nut & Lug: $50

Stock: $325

Im not going to tell you this is the best rifle made, but it is a good deal and should shoot well…..about $2000. Probably would better any factory rifle I've handled.

It could be $250 less as a Savage.

Be Tuff to build with a CF barrel blank~$700 and CF stock~$500-700, trigger $150, action $400.

Hard to beat what you can buy a CA one for. Lot of gun for $1700-1800

But at the end of the day for not a bunch more you can have a custom rifle that you know will shoot instead of a factory production and hope you didn't get the lemon.

If you space your purchases over time, you can get deals and adjust your budget. Maybe another 500 gets you the perfect gun. In my world, I spend large amounts of money on the gun stock, barrel, and glass. The action contributes less to accuracy than the others. Factory packages are consistently missing something (for me) and often require replacement parts for my tastes....yeilding wasted money.

Nice looking rig. What does yours weigh? What's the barrel length?
Max, I could not build a custom rifle to my standards with your requirements. Proof or Bartlein Carbon Fiber barrels run around $800 plus gunsmith chambering. Prefit CF barrels are ~$1,000.Carbon Fiber stocks start at $629 and go up. Can you then add an action, bottom metal and trigger for $370 to keep your build under $2,000? Simple answer is No. If you want a carbon fiber custom built rifle, you will need more money. Save up and do it right.
*Note: slicky's build (above) is without a Carbon Fiber barrel and without a CF stock. That makes a big price and weight difference.

Last edited:
With prices high here in Canada; there's no way I can build my 280 AI for $2000. I will be about double that by the time I'm done. This doesn't include optics. Plus my friend does the gunsmithing for free. Action and stock type really are huge factors in the price. Sure wish I could build guns for 2K up here. All the best on your build. Should be a great gun.
I don't think one can build a custom rifle with a CF barrel and a CF stock in the US either. Going farther south to Mexico, one could buy a nice looking counterfeit build for $999 🤣

I enjoy this forum, very much, but I have not built a custom rifle since 1992. From this forum, the range of custom components these days is truly amazing. I have a question: The tight specs for chambers, barrels, etc. make sense to me, to build an accurate gun. But other than mag length, why isn't a plain FN Mauser action, like a K98 or Husqvarna good enough. I haven't priced one, but I see they still make them. Is it just aesthetics, the spiral milling, etc.?

I don't think one can build a custom rifle with a CF barrel and a CF stock in the US either. Going farther south to Mexico, one could buy a nice looking counterfeit build for $999 🤣
I agree. My carbon fibre stock with bottom metal is not far off $2K. It's light though. Stock, bottom metal, screws and pillars weighs 1 lb 7 oz.

I agree. My carbon fibre stock with bottom metal is not far off $2K. It's light though. Stock, bottom metal, screws and pillars weighs 1 lb 7 oz.
When I got my first CF stock, I was blown away how light it was. Now I've also experienced how strong cabin fiber is. There's no substitute for quality.

Max, I could not build a custom rifle to my standards with your requirements. Proof or Bartlein Carbon Fiber barrels run around $800 plus gunsmith chambering. Prefit CF barrels are ~$1,000.Carbon Fiber stocks start at $629 and go up. Can you then add an action, bottom metal and trigger for $370 to keep your build under $2,000? Simple answer is No. If you want a carbon fiber custom built rifle, you will need more money. Save up and do it right.
*Note: slicky's build (above) is without a Carbon Fiber barrel and without a CF stock. That makes a big price and weight difference.
@Ranger Rick you are correct, mine is without the stock or the barrel in CF. That said, I just finished a full custom with both, and I am well over the $2k mark, I am actually over the $4k mark on that rifle, so I have to agree with you on building one with CF components.

@Ranger Rick you are correct, mine is without the stock or the barrel in CF. That said, I just finished a full custom with both, and I am well over the $2k mark, I am actually over the $4k mark on that rifle, so I have to agree with you on building one with CF components.
Aren't CF stocks amazingly light?! Please PM what's in your CF custom build. PS Today's actions are works of art, but they're priced like masterpieces. 😲

Aren't CF stocks amazingly light?! Please PM what's in your CF custom build. PS Today's actions are works of art, but they're priced like masterpieces. 😲

They can be made stupid light. My bare rifle, including mag and scope base and rings weighs 6.5 lbs. Once you add the scope (VX-5 HD 3-15x44), and the suppressor (DA Nomad 30), it is just a touch over 8.5 lbs. It fit the bill for exactly what I was looking for.

@Ranger Rick this stock weighs only 1 lb 10 oz even with the vertical grip and cheekpiece.

5378562a6a3f10b69737551c75f68d31.jpg

Last edited:
It can be done, you just have to work at it. I built my 280 AI for $1200 all in, including optics and Gunsmithing.

Rem 700 w/PTG 1 piece bolt
Callahan Speedlock
Holland recoil lug
TriggerTech special
PTG Bottom Metal
Brux #4 8 twist barrel
McMillan Hunter Stock
Hawkins Precision LR Hybrid Rings
Leupold VX-5 HD 3-15x44, Impact-29 reticle

3f2d96c17ad644041cc6743c24487177.jpg
Well done Sir!