Curtis Custom Nails it.

Willys46

As many of you know they guys over at Curtis Custom, Chase Curtis and Joel Russo, have been working on their new Vector and Axiom Actions, but many people did not know they were working on a bottom metal and a new three round magazine.
I had purchased a piece of their new bottom metal and a three round mag to check out. Knowing the individuals involved in this company I knew it would be high quality gear.
The new bottom metal looks very nice and clean. I have always disliked the lever that hangs down for the mag release. It always catches on stuff especially during hunting. The new Bottom metal has is integrated release so nothing hangs down. (I have not installed it yet, waiting on a stock but it looks great.)
The three round mag I got a chance to use this weekend during some practice for an upcoming Precision Rifle Series match. This little mag is great! At first glance I was impressed that it was machined from a piece of billet aluminum and not stamped like other mags. The Mil Spec hard coat anodizing adds both curb appeal and function. When I inserted it in the mag system it sat flush with the stock. Something that has always bugged me out hunting. Other mags always seemed to dig into my back while hiking.
Five rounder:

During the testing I found another thing that I had forgot about, when shooting off hand your natural position for your support hand goes right were the mag sits. This one that sits flush allowed me to place my hand where I wanted not where I had to. I have totally forgot how I hated that until I had an option!
Three rounder installed

Looks are great, but for me and in the PRS function is key. I will take something that looks like a train wreck as long as it works 100%. I was very happy that the rounds that I fed through this mag worked 100% of the time. I was using a Defiance deviant action in a Manners stock with the mini chassis installed (just for reference)
Five rounder Vs Three Rounder

Cannot wait until I can get the bottom metal all matched up to one of the new actions!

Willys46

Thanks Willy!!! Glad the mag is working out for yougun)

We will not be doing a group buy on mags and bottom metal. But we are planning one for actions.

Thanks Willy!!! Glad the mag is working out for yougun)

We will not be doing a group buy on mags and bottom metal. But we are planning one for actions.

Chase,
I ran it again this weekend in a match and it worked great. We had a positional staged and popped it in to shoot the standing portion and did a quick mag change as I moved to the kneeling position.

No to figure out how to hold 10 rounds and still sit flush:)

These photos are with my match cartridge and it's a 6SLR. The bullet is a 105VLD

Not sure the OAL, I can measure when I'm back home. It's 2.40 to ojive using a hornady measuring tool.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.