Crosshair levelling

I know, I've wondered that too. Plus some action don't have a good flat spot to place a level.

I find that the scope base works best.

I've been using the Badger Ordinance Dead Level Scope Leveling Device and I'm really liking it.

I also have a parrot vise with adjustable feet that sits on the bench as well.

There are two unique & separate items to consider with level:
The elevation adjustment, or the crosshair (if the scope even has one).
Both are scope leveling to one plan or the other.
Gun cant itself doesn't matter beyond whatever is comfortable & consistent in use.

So all this leveling of rails, rings & bases is of no value at all..

The main reason to level the action,scope and reticle is to prevent windage changes during
elevation changes.

By leveling the scope reticle to the reciever, the fact that the barrel is pointed upward to the
line of site. no mater how far the shot the bullet will pass through the center line of the bore
and strike above or below the the aim point without having to compensate with the windage
adjustment.

I have seen many match shooters cant there rifles and be very competitive but this was on
fixed distances and they all use windage adjustments to compensate.

Windage is hard enough to correct for without having to use both windage and elevation
for correction of canting.

By keeping everything level, all adjustments can be made much easier for elevation and windage
corrections.

Leveling the reticle with the rifle action is easy and well worth the effort when hunting at
different distances.

Just My opinion.

J E CUSTOM

You guys need to try this:

Reticle Tru

Parabola LLC » PRODUCT INFO

I have one, and it works incredibly well. It's a very simple concept with no need for levels, plumb bobs, or anything else external to the scope and rifle.

$65 plus shipping? Ouch!

The EXD tool is $46 plus shipping, and even that's pretty high for something that rarely gets used.

The Parabola product is a flawed concept because it's attached to the eyepiece end of the scope, and it aligns the reticle to the receiver bore. That's too far away from the muzzle, and its reticle alignment with respect to the bore at the muzzle that counts. Boresight misalignment between the rifle bore and the scope tube axis and/or between the rufle bore and the receover can cause a lateral shift of the eyepiece relative to the bore. Aligning the reticle at this end is prone to more error than when done at the objective end.

The EXD tool is attached the objective, which is over the barrel and closer to the muzzle. Therefore it will be more accurate. When used properly, it plumbs the line intersecting the rifle bore and the scope tube axes. The reticle should be parallel to this line for long range shots. Plus it costs less. If you're shooting long range, the EXD tool is by far the best option available today.

If you're not shooting long range ( i. e., less than 400 yds), then you can just eyeball the alignment or level the receiver and reticle. The reticle would have to be off by at least 5 degrees for the aimpoint error to be significant at short range.

For me, the easiest solution for to level the scope is by matching the flat portion of the scope base with the flat portion of the bottom of the scope turret with a feeler gauge, or something even simpler like a deck of cards. Insert the properly spaced feeler gauge and tighten the ring screws. The scope will level itself if done correctly.

This is assuming that reticle is level inside the turret housing (most quality manufactured scopes are) and the scope base is machined properly (again, most quality bases are). It's simple, but it works if you use a one piece scope rail.

JE Custom, I didn't mean to imply that a plumb scope, or use of a level, isn't important.
What I'm saying is that the GUN's condition itself doesn't matter provided you level to the same standard in the field.

Match shooters using windage adjustment for CANT have not set up their equipment correctly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.