cronograph's

I have a shooting chrony that I paid $99 for. It works great from shooting arrows, 338Rum, and my muzzleloader. Keep a fresh battery in it and you will be happy

I have a Shooting Chrony and a CED. They do not agree with each other, the Shooting Chrony reads higher in all cases. The CED with infra-red screens gives me velocities that happen to match my drops exactly when put into Exbal. The infra-red screens pick up the shots flawlessly.

AJ

Been using a Pact PC2 for about as long as they were selling them, and never a hitch. Readings are very similar to a buddie's Ohler 35. (about seven fps difference @ 3500fps). Seriously; I would only consider a Pact or an Ohler if I were buying one today.
gary

The Shooting Chrony works well for me given the price and my requirements.

I'm not sure that a better unit would benefit me.

Many shooters here have more stringent requirements.

Like most test equipment, attention to details such as calibration and cross-referencing becomes as important as the stated precision of the equipment at some point.

-- richard

I agree 100% with rscott5028 on this one....I am on my second shooting chrony after getting better than ten years out of the first one.....

The shooting chrony is very accurate and can be confirmed with actual field drops within reason in most cases..It is an invaluable tool for load developement.....But, bright sunlight & low sunlight angle have given me poor results in the past with large variations...I had quit using it on bright sunny days altogether for that reason....

But since I have discarded the factory sun shades and built a large adjustable sunshade over my chronograph stand...Results now are very consistent from day to day with most forms of light conditions...The shade is a piece of 2 ft. x 2 ft. x 1-1/2" thick "pink" styrofoam, supported on 4 adjustable legs...Allowing the shade to be set at most angles to avoid direct sunlight across the "eyes" and bullet path....Now only the steepest "late in the day" sunlight angles seem to affect result consistancy...

I just read an article about a "box" a guy put over his chrony with an artficial light source.....This looked great, I may experiment with this soon.....

For an entry level chronogragh the Shooting Chrony price is right if you understand and can live with its limitations....

Randy

I've been happy with a Competition Electronics Prochrono. It's quick and easy to set up and it spits out good readings for everything I fire across it.

I had two Shooting Chrony's. Shot one of them. Still have the other but now I use my Oehler 35p. Seriously, once you've used the Oehler, you'll never want to use another. Most don't skimp on ammo and optics and dies, why skimp on something as important as a chronograph?

Pact Professional all the way. Had one for 10 years before I had a sabot from a smokeless muzzle loader break the sensor which pact fixed for free even though I picked it up second hand. Gave it to a friend and got a new one. Very usefull to print out a shot string for Vel, ES, Std Dev, plus the built in External Ballistic's Calculator. Not sure about everyone else but It is one of the cheaper items I've had to buy and yet use it with every gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.