Crazy idea

Varmint Hunter

I shoot several guns that have removable brakes. Most are Kirby's PK models. They all get loaded up with carbon. Periodically, I submerge them in a bottle of bore cleaning solvent for a few hours and then try to clean them with a rag, q-tip or whatever I can get in the small openings. Nothing works very well.

Is there any reason why I can't tumble them clean? The stainless steel media would probably do the trick but I'm guessing that it may affect the finish or cause some dimensional problems. Would a less aggressive media work?

What do you think?

I dont see how tumbling would affect any dimensions of the brake. Im sure whatever decision you reached has already been carried out making my post useless but id bet a good amount of money it would be no problem. Or you could invest in a sonic and for sure there would be no problems

A little GM TEC, Wipe Out, Warthog and a Q Tip get my APS PKs clean in a hurry.

I now use Bore Tec for about everything.

I'd think tumbling would shine them up a bit????/

Ultra Sonic may be better??

Ya I'd say it would! Im using a sonic now and can tell you for sure that would clean them right up Right on the box it tells you to put gun parts in it! It's pretty cool technology actually. Sonic cleaner might serve well known your bench!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.