Crazy 308 win. Encore

41Magnum

Got a factory 308 Win. barrel that's giving me fits, I've shot the world through it and it just will not group. I'm looking at having sent off to JES Reboring and get it rebored to 358 Winchester, or should I "bite the bullet" and just get custom barrel made. It wears a Holland Radical Brake as well and I've always wanted a 358, your thoughts are appreciated.

Got a factory 308 Win. barrel that's giving me fits, I've shot the world through it and it just will not group. I'm looking at having sent off to JES Reboring and get it rebored to 358 Winchester, or should I "bite the bullet" and just get custom barrel made. It wears a Holland Radical Brake as well and I've always wanted a 358, your thoughts are appreciated.
Sometimes factory barrels just suck.
I have never rebored. How much does it cost?
Are you going to order a custom 308 Win or the 358?
I would rather order a custom barrel from Bullberry or some other reputable Encore barrel maker myself than reboring...That is just me.
If you go 358 whether reboring or new custom barrel, you can have them take off your Holland brake, and open it up for 35 caliber.
If you get a new 308, you can have them fit the Holland on your new 308 Win

I have one of the very early Encore 308 Win barrels. I have taken a pile of animals with it. Everything from Prairie Dogs and varmints through big northern Minnesota Whitetails. It will shoot very well with a variety of bullets from 110gr V-Max for varmints up to 168gr SSTs for deer. It liked the now discontinued 130gr Sierra SSP bullets as well as the 130gr Barnes XBT. It does have one major problem. It copper fouls like no barrel I have ever owned. It will shoot well for the first 20-30 rounds, but after that accuracy falls off quickly. Not a problem for hunting, but rather inconvenient for varmint and target shooting. I actually made a DIY electrolysis barrel cleaner to remove built up copper because it would take a day or two of using traditional bore brush/patches/solvents to get all the copper out of it. If you do go the reboring route, please post your results here. I have heard of people having good results doing that and have considered doing it to my 308 barrel as well.

Ernie,
This only the second factory T/C barrel that I've had this happen. The other one was a 223 barrel that would shoot around the corner, 😁 JES Reboring has a very good reputation on his work, cost is 300.00 with a 2 week turnaround. I've been told and read that his 3 groove barrels are very accurate. I have scads of both 308 and 358 bullets on hand and powders that will work on both. I was hoping this 308 would shoot well as I'm wanting to take an Elk with it in a couple of years.

Ernie,
This only the second factory T/C barrel that I've had this happen. The other one was a 223 barrel that would shoot around the corner, 😁 JES Reboring has a very good reputation on his work, cost is 300.00 with a 2 week turnaround. I've been told and read that his 3 groove barrels are very accurate. I have scads of both 308 and 358 bullets on hand and powders that will work on both. I was hoping this 308 would shoot well as I'm wanting to take an Elk with it in a couple of years.
Sounds like your 308 will become a 358 (Have them open the Holland brake up for a 35 cal), and then are you going to order a custom 308 Winchester barrel?

Sounds like your 308 will become a 358 (Have them open the Holland brake up for a 35 cal), and then are you going to order a custom 308 Winchester barrel?
He said he can open up the brake with no problem. I'm thinking about just going ahead and have a custom barrel made in 308 bore. Then fool with the 358 later.

If you are planning on reboring it anyway, before you do, try using a Tubbs fire lapping kit on it before hand. I've had a few factory barrels that did not perform well and fouled rather quickly, and after a proper cleaning and fire lapping, they improved, some rather greatly. Its not a cure for everything, but for some barrels, it does help.

If you are planning on reboring it anyway, before you do, try using a Tubbs fire lapping kit on it before hand. I've had a few factory barrels that did not perform well and fouled rather quickly, and after a proper cleaning and fire lapping, they improved, some rather greatly. Its not a cure for everything, but for some barrels, it does help.
Funny you mention that as a friend of mine suggested that I try that very thing, I've got a kit on the way.

Last edited:
Break-opens can sure be finicky at times, for all kinds of different reasons...
They sure can Ernie. The Contender frame that I've had since 1979 has never given any problems, it keeps a 10" 41 Magnum barrel on it that will shoot amazing groups at 100 yds. as long as I do my part. Ditto the Encore frame with several barrels that I've had over the years. I've got a 16 1/4" SSK 6.5 Creedmoor barrel the factory 308 and a 243 Win. barrels for the Encore. Both frames have had trigger jobs many years ago, I also picked up 2 Encore frames 1 stainless the other blue, haven't decided as to what I'll do with those yet.