CPW Redefines Sharpshooter in Elk Reduction

I was born and raised in CO and the number of hunters on the mountain has increased significantly over the years, as I know it has elsewhere too.

I start putting my practice in starting in March or April and through the fall. I will get out in the winter months too, just not consistently. I use the cold days to catch up on case sizing and brass prep.

Anyhow, most people in CO seem to go out 1 time before rifle season. Shoot at 100 to check zero and determine they are good to go. Well, to each their own, but I certainly don't think this is enough practice.

Heck, I was a the range one year doing my final checks the weekend before my season, and a guy was there with a brand new rifle cussing the thing because he couldn't hit paper at 100. He was blaming the bore sight from where he purchased it. He was talking to others and saying they were going the following weekend. Yikes!

Some people believe they are better than they really are. I would say if I went out having not picked up a rifle for the better part of a year, I may not be able to pass the qualification dusting the hunting rifle off just for this. I suspect that's what some do. And yes these people are out in the woods "hunting" also.

Just saw this elsewhere and stunned by it.

The "qualifications for "sharpshooter" are:
Those who advance through the application process then must complete a shooting qualification hitting small targets the size of an elk's vitals at 200 and 300 yards. Those attending the qualifying shoot must hit each target three times in a row without a miss within a three minute time period.

"This qualification has proven to be difficult for even the most seasoned elk hunters," said CPW Area Wildlife Manager Rick Basagoitia. "This standard is likely the minimum allowable standard given the difficulty of the work we need volunteers to do."

Are freaking serious? Sharpshooter is considered if you can hit a so called SMALL TARGET 12" pie plate eg size of elk vitals at 200 and 300 yards? This is what CO considers as "sharpshooter"?

So hold off those LR or ELR builds if you want to be a CO Sharpshooter. No mention of minimal cartridge etc which is crazy as well.

I dunno, maybe me.
When I got my "shooter" merit badge from the USMC sniper school we had a slightly higher standard...but most guys can't sprint flat out for 2 minutes, flop down and hit the bull first shot. They should be able to, though. Cold bore miracle. (Note: what I could do 43 years ago has no bearing on what I could do right now)

I certainly don't disagree about general public shooting skill but as a retired CO I would warn about qualifiers other than hunter safety. What's to prevent making the test so hard in the future to rule out most all hunters. Careful what you wish for...
Interesting point.

One thing to add, is during the height of the pandemic, there were some states doing a complete online hunters safety with no shooting qualification. Colorado being one....

That said, I support people wanting to learn to enjoy hunting. Even if it does crowd me a bit more

I have been a volunteer for hunter sight in days at our range as it was a good money maker for the range and watching the people there above 90 % of hunters are extremely poor marksman usually too big of a caliber so they flinch, The only practice they get is off the bench which is worthless unless you want to be a benchrest shooter. The benchrest is used at ranges probably 95% of the time people are shooting just watch next time you go there. people assume that there 1/2 min gun shot off a bench will be replicated in field positions but they never shoot from field positions. my range at home does not have a bench because I will never pack a bench in the field and don't need one because I have learned to shoot with a sling which is a learned skill, you have to shoot in field positions to get proficient at them . Get off the bench it is a waste of time and barrel life. I have never been to a military range that has benches.

Recent Posts