Coyote rifle

Ghogsniper

New guy here, considering purchasing a Browning X-Bolt rifle in 22-250 with a 9" twist. Are the actions on Brownings worth squaring & blueprinting ?

Is the X-Bolt accurate enough "out of the box" to slay coyotes @ 300 yards max ?

Last edited:
I would not recommend it, I don't believe that you would see any improvement in accuracy. Why do you think the action needs blueing and squaring.
Drags

With a 9" twist, it seems you could reload with heavier, high BC, bullets and make coyotes feel unsafe at 750 yards, but shoot sub 1/4"- 1/2" at 300 yards first and then smack 'em at 750 yards. Wishing you well!

That Browning should be good enough for 300 yard coyotes the way it comes. I wouldn't mess with it.
My biggest concern with those faster-twist Browning .22-250s is the box magazine length. I wanted to buy that Predator model they made a few years back, but it turned out they didn't bother to make the mag long enough to allow the heavier/longer bullets that could now be stabilized to fit. I'm half-interested in that new "X-Bolt Stalker Long Range" or whatever it's called, with the 1:9 twist and 26" heavy-sporter barrel - but not if they made the same screw-up to the magazine.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess that I was jumping the gun a little worrying about accuracy.

lew, do you think that the 8" twist X-Bolt .223 Composite Stalker would have the same magazine problem ?

I dunno. I'd like to find more info somewhere. Maybe contact Browning and ask, although they don't seem to keep their website very up-to-date; some of these new rifles I'm seeing for sale out there were not even shown on the Browning site last time I looked. One dealer - Elk County Ammo and Arms (PA) - seems to offer a lot of different Browning rifles for sale. They sell a lot online too, so maybe if a person gave them a call or sent an email they might send a salesperson back to physically measure the magazines if they thought it might result in a sale. And if those mags turn out not to be what customers want, maybe dealers will put heat on Browning when they lose potential sales.
Yeah I guess that I was jumping the gun a little worrying about accuracy.

lew, do you think that the 8" twist X-Bolt .223 Composite Stalker would have the same magazine problem ?

I dunno. I'd like to find more info somewhere. Maybe contact Browning and ask, although they don't seem to keep their website very up-to-date; some of these new rifles I'm seeing for sale out there were not even shown on the Browning site last time I looked. One dealer - Elk County Ammo and Arms (PA) - seems to offer a lot of different Browning rifles for sale. They sell a lot online too, so maybe if a person gave them a call or sent an email they might send a salesperson back to physically measure the magazines if they thought it might result in a sale. And if those mags turn out not to be what customers want, maybe dealers will put heat on Browning when they lose potential sales.
I've dealt with Elk County a couple times (in person) and have been very satisfied. They were very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I agree, give them a try.

I had a gunsmith refashion a .243 magazine so I could load the long bullets in my 8" twist Model 70. It turned out at 2.650. Works great with the 75-80 grain bullets. The .22-250 with an 8" twist is about as good as it gets.

Try the 60 TMK out of it, I'm getting fantastic groups with my 223 AI 9T Hart. Head shot a dog at 475 last month with my setup.

I bought an X-Bolt & immediately sold it. The magazine they have is a poor design. It would not feed my reloads & even struggled with factory ammo. There are a lot of grizzlies where I hunt so the rifle needs to function.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.