Countdown to Colorado

sambo3006

I'm leaving Tuesday morning for western Colorado. Gonna hunt the east side of the Uncompahgre Unit 62 out of Montrose.First season starts Saturday of next week. My efforts to get in some long range shooting have been snafu'd so far. My friend who lets me shoot out to 600 yds hasn't picked his corn out of the field I normally shoot across.

Today went to do a little shooting at 100 yds at the local range just to verify my POI. It was in the 80's with no shade so just fired enough to verify. When I was done I checked the chamber out of habit before I packed up the rifle. I then shut the bolt somewhat briskly and to my horror the firing pin dropped. I repeated the process about 10 times and it happened about half the time. It is a stock trigger on a 700 with the exception of a Callahan striker assembly. It has been fine for a little over 2 years set at a crisp 2.5 lb or so. Back to the house to adjust the trigger, then more slamming of the bolt shut to test and finally some clear nail polish over the adjustment screws. I had put some on before but I guess things just worked loose. I guess better to find out now than out in the field.

I plan to do some long range shooting out in Colorado. I have a Burris Ballistic Plex reticle and I have a decent idea of trajectory based on last year's shooting out in Colorado and a ballistic calculator but I am not going to trust it. I want to see some actual impacts. Gonna bring lots of ammo so should not be a problem.

Last year's trip started out with my buddy pumping his chevy 350 full of diesel half way across Kansas. Long story short it cost us two days. The whole fiasco ended up with me hitting a bull through the chest in a hard to get to spot and stopping the trail towards dark to get some help the next morning. We ended up snowed in the tent for a whole day and never could pick up the trail again the next day. Let's hope this year goes smoother.

I hope you have better luck this year than last. I'll be hunting the units north west of Grand Junction in the 4th season this year (Elk and Bear).

You'll be done with your hunt and I'll still be anxiously waiting for mine.

Good Luck,

AJ

colorado muzzleloader Bull

Just got thru with my first ever smoke pole hunt. Lets see opening day saw 2 cow elk and 2 very nice bucks, thats it 2nd day saw just doe's no elk but did hear one bugle but couldnt bring him in. 3rd day hunted in the morning and was sitting in a meadow and pretty much had given up on elk and was thinking about my first ever antelope hunt in new mexico, and texting my wife when 2 cows ran behind me across the meadow I was in then here came the bull at a lope 80 yds broadside, led him in front of shoulder and boom. After the coughing and cutting the smoke away with my knife there is the bull eating grass and walking around like nothing ever happened so I am looking to see if I hit him he is now at 50 yds in a small group of trees eating. Then I get this brainstorm of an idea, I actually might get another shot so I start reloading and just as I look down to put on the primer he walks into the thick Colorado spruce to never be seen again. Dang I missed looked for three hours no blood. 4th day looked for the bull again all morning till noon still no bull so I missed him. 5th day go to brother in laws land and watching 2 huge bucks when this bugle sounds off not to far away so we drive around the corner and we hear him bugle again. We stop the truck and I get out and B.I.L gets out and is trying to find his primers when a cow comes running by me at 60 yds, I am looking when all I see is horns coming thru the brush, when I pull up the bull stops and looks at me at 60 yds broadside BOOM he takes off, B.I.L looks up and says what the He** you doin and I said I just shot that bull about then we hear him crash into some tress and can actually hear his last final breaths. We split up and I walk into the trees and there is his nose and eyeguards sticking out from under some trees, so I walk up and poke him then walk around the trees and OMG he is huge 6X7 and scores 350 " a bull of a life time. He is something I will remember all my life. Dang cant figure out how to post a pic

Good luck to you. I will be coming behind you.I drew a deer permit for area 64 starting Nov 3. I will be hunting near the Black Canyon National Park.
Bob

I'm leaving Tuesday morning for western Colorado. Gonna hunt the east side of the Uncompahgre Unit 62 out of Montrose.First season starts Saturday of next week. My efforts to get in some long range shooting have been snafu'd so far. My friend who lets me shoot out to 600 yds hasn't picked his corn out of the field I normally shoot across.

Today went to do a little shooting at 100 yds at the local range just to verify my POI. It was in the 80's with no shade so just fired enough to verify. When I was done I checked the chamber out of habit before I packed up the rifle. I then shut the bolt somewhat briskly and to my horror the firing pin dropped. I repeated the process about 10 times and it happened about half the time. It is a stock trigger on a 700 with the exception of a Callahan striker assembly. It has been fine for a little over 2 years set at a crisp 2.5 lb or so. Back to the house to adjust the trigger, then more slamming of the bolt shut to test and finally some clear nail polish over the adjustment screws. I had put some on before but I guess things just worked loose. I guess better to find out now than out in the field.

I plan to do some long range shooting out in Colorado. I have a Burris Ballistic Plex reticle and I have a decent idea of trajectory based on last year's shooting out in Colorado and a ballistic calculator but I am not going to trust it. I want to see some actual impacts. Gonna bring lots of ammo so should not be a problem.

Last year's trip started out with my buddy pumping his chevy 350 full of diesel half way across Kansas. Long story short it cost us two days. The whole fiasco ended up with me hitting a bull through the chest in a hard to get to spot and stopping the trail towards dark to get some help the next morning. We ended up snowed in the tent for a whole day and never could pick up the trail again the next day. Let's hope this year goes smoother.

I'll be leaving western NY 3AM Tues. headin' for SW CO. Will be hunting unit 70. Hunted there last year with great success.
Honk if you spot a siver Sierra with NY plates. Plan on stopping the first nite in Lincoln.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts