could use help deciding between 2 used nikons for first longer range scope

GermanGuy

Hello everyone,
i am having trouble deciding between 2 used scopes at a pawnshop..
they have a

Nikon- MONARCH 5-20-44SF MATTE BDC (BRA13202) for $285 and a

Nikon Prostaff 7 3-12x42 for $300

the rifle it is going on will a Savage fcp sr 308 20"

the reason why its between those 2 is while buying ammo i looked throu there used scope section and the Monarch got my interest, quick online search and price seemd good at first so its on layaway then i saw the box that looked old and found out it is a discontinued model and i dont know if it still keeps up with newer $300 scopes ...

its really clear and sharp but when i was about to leave i noticed the prostaff 7 which seems to be similar or better from 5-12 power as in i see more then just what i aim at it seemed bigger on same power setting , newer, 30mm tube but it stops on 12 vs 20 .

my use for now is 100-300y target shooting but i want to be able to try 600 or more if i ever get there without the need of a new scope rightaway

thank you for your time

If you're going to be doing target shooting then go with the higher magnification. If you think you'll be doing some hunting then the lower magnification would be nice.

Where can you get a Monarch 5-20X44 for $285?!

I put one on a Kimber 84 .308 for deer hunting this years. Plenty good for the woods where I hunt and lots for checking out a deer on the other side of a canyon to verify whether I wanted to shoot it or not. So I guess that tells you I would go for the 5-20X.

Guy, I just bought a used Monarch 5X20X44 for a steal at $150 and appears sharp/clear. It is a discontinued model that was upgraded to their "ED" model and much higher price. Noticed what was the economy model, the Prostaff seems to be getting more promotion from Nikon lately. I will use this scope to test trading rifles and loads. If it doesn't hold zero I can send it to Nikon for free repair or replacement. For you, my choice is whichever scope looks better to you. Good luck

thanks for the responses. so i take it that 285 is an ok price for the monarch?!
i am almost leaning towards the prostaff7 but they are asking new price for a used scope so im just hoping the monarch will be a good deal .

thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.