Corporate Grind

Huh…that would mean he would work for the National Park Service. The USFS has no "park rangers." Fact. The USFS does have wilderness rangers…perhaps that's what he meant. The USFS doesn't manage "park" land so no position descriptions carry that word in the agency.

Why don't you go on the Facebook and search back about 7 or 8 years to try to find a guy that way you can Is correct him. I'm just relaying what I read on his Facebook post.

You really ought to get a life.

Back to the " just move along " thing . Does the title not say enough . Ive been a carpenter since 1989 being I graduated in 1988 it's been a life time . Good times and bad I have worked 3 places in that time . It may not be corporate but it's still a grind . How do I get the job mowing for the county , sounds real darn good about now !

In his Facebook post he specifically said he's a park ranger.

Why don't you go on the Facebook and search back about 7 or 8 years to try to find a guy that way you can Is correct him. I'm just relaying what I read on his Facebook post.

You really ought to get a life.
I'm not trolling you. Just giving you correct info. Have a nice day.

Why do you care I'm trying to tell a story and I'm telling you what the guy posted on his Facebook page years ago.

You appear to be one of those guys who absolutely has to be right all the time.

The guy who up barely knew who claims he was a park ranger for the US force service apparently that is a real position with the US forest service.

Here's a link US Forest Service website career section for park ranger.

Easy fella. I stand corrected.

Been doing the construction jobs and others throughout a long time...body beat up....tired.....
Even liking the jobs I do....it makes me feel like a 'whore'.....working to pay this defunct government.....
Earning the 'bucks' just isn't as fun as it used to be.....seeing less of it...and seeing how "We the People" are being ripped off by the 'president and co-horters'......thieves.......

Why do you care I'm trying to tell a story and I'm telling you what the guy posted on his Facebook page years ago.

The guy who up barely knew who claims he was a park ranger for the US force service apparently that is a real position with the US forest service.

This blows my mind actually, I worked for the USFS for over 20 years now and I've never seen this PD. Then again I've never worked in AK. Looking at duties, it seems to be a front desk clerk. Perhaps it's an AK only job? IDK.

Anyway, I wasn't try to pee in your cherrios. Since I have extensive knowledge with the agency despite the posts above, I wanted to chime into your thread. Perhaps I'll just move along instead.

I whack fish for a living, has been the greatest job on earth... well except the weather the wild economic swings, the physical beat down of the body, the constant economic and political uncertain, the toll it takes on the family... other than that it's great.

State employed friends want the adventure of my job, my fishing peers want the consistency, pension and pto of .gov employees. It's almost like the grass is always greener.

Don't be so touchy. The distinction is relevant to your point. If the individual was in fact a District Ranger then he didn't abandon the corporate grind to settle for a low paying but enjoyable job. A District Ranger, which to FireFlyFishing's point is what most of the "Rangers" in the Forest Service really are, is a supervisory GS-13 position that requires years of experience and multiple promotions to reach. His pay also wouldn't be all that much lower than that of your LTC buddy.

All that to say there are high paying jobs that suck the soul out of you and high paying jobs that don't. People will work almost any job to eat if that's what it takes. Some persist in careers they hate because that is what pays the most, but more and more are "settling" for lower paying jobs that provide a better quality of life or more fulfillment.

I've worked medical administration jobs for the last 25 years. To this day, the most enjoyable job I've had is groundskeeping at a little league during my college years. Keys to the concessions stand, no one around, and I had a great tan! I miss those days.
When I was in College, I was a greens keeper in upstate, NY and I loved it! I used to get up at 5:30 AM, get on a Jacobsen Triplex diesel mower and mow 21 greens. Then, I'd cut cups, mend tees, mow fairways on the big gang mowers, fight with sprinkler heads, etc. I'd get off at 2:30 and me and my buddies would go to lake Ontario and put a whoppin' on a case of Labatt's. Get up the next day and do it all over again. It made me consider getting a degree in Turf Management, I liked it so much.

Anyway, I ended up in OSHA/EPA compliance in the chemical manufacturing sector for about 13 years after that and have spent the last 20 years as a Regulatory guy. My wife works in the private sector/corporate world and I can tell you all that I don't envy her. She does very well but it does indeed, suck the life out of her. Not the work - the people. We are about 4 years from retirement and are counting the days. I think part of the problem with the corporate world now is that we pretty much have the "Time-Out" generation representing a significant cross section of its ranks. My wife developed a very marketable product in her company and meets/exceeds revenue targets every year. Her counterpart Division is lead by a weasel, who typically falls short of revenue goals and incessintley tries to take credit for what she does. Why do companies allow this stuff to go on? It's counterproductive and hurts the whole organization, yet her boss refuses to deal with it. He just lets the conflict perpetuate.

Oh, I forgot........We no longer live in a meritocracy. Success must be punished.

Lastly, the irony of all this DEI garbage is palpable. Companies spend millions on civility training, equity campaigns, etc., when the reality of the situation is the complete opposite. They let conflict perpetuate and they punish success. Then, they have a "Holiday" party every year and blow sunshine up everybody's butt. It's all a facade. I'm glad we are close to retirement. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
From a millennial who grew up on a poor farm...

My dad worked too hard and died at 55. His last lesson he said to me," money and work isn't everything, the only thing that matters is time doing what you love with who you love."

I watched a nice house go from 75k to 750k

Land go from 300 to 3-6k per acre

F-150 go from 25k to 75k

H4350 go from $20 to $65 currently

This is all since the year 2000

There is no carrot just in front of you to chase. It's so far out of sight that there is no motivation for us millennials and younger to chase.

We choose what's best for us and that's it. There is zero loyalty and management in every company displays that.

I worked really hard in school and now enjoy a week on week off schedule that i don't punch the clock at. When the work is done I'm done... and I'm pretty efficient.

My most valuable asset is my time and i will not compromise that.

I like to reference the Mexican fisherman and the investment banker story...

Fisherman is on the beach. Catches a few fish and spends the rest of the day relaxing, spending time with family...

Banker wants the fisherman to catch more fish and get rich...

Fisherman asks why.

To make money and then ultimately can retire to the beach in Mexico, catch a few fish, spend time with family relaxing...

I knowb the story for the alaska fisherman isn't nearly as rosy as that.

Folks who went . Gov ten years ago were the smart ones. Private sector guys figured we'd never slay the golden calf culturally... we were right. Just turns out the golden calf was the fed and qe not the private sector. Don't need a private healthy vibrant private sector if you have reserve currency and printing capacities. Our local gov workes got a 13% raise over 18 months the same time private sector in the area has seen drops or at best stagnation.

Shoulda worked for the ones with the money printer, my fish haven't paced inflation since 1991.

One of the sacrifices that I had to make working at that $25 an hour job was hunting and fishing. At that hourly rate I couldn't afford the hunting and fishing trips that I could in the past.

The closest thing to a fishing expedition is a party boat out into the bay.

I could go hunting on public lands but with a number of people applying for those permits in a lottery makes it nearly impossible to win a tag.

So I have a safe full of hunting rifles and shotguns that I haven't used in a while.

After I was professionally employed again I had to play catch up with my retirement and save up as much money as I could which sadly forced me to sacrifice hunting and fishing.

I married now and my wife's income which is roughly half of my current salary contributes greatly to what we want to do.

My wife's trip back to the Philippines visit family is nearly as expensive as going on a nice hunting trip and sadly we cannot do both. That said I will never deny her the opportunity to visit her family. Additionally we will not go into debt just to be able to do both. Either we can pay cash or we don't go at all.

She wants me to go hunting and fishing again and wants to join me but when I explain the hardships that go along with it she'd rather stay home. She likes to sleep in.

I do have a membership to a private gun club dues are about $200 a year so I haven't given up sport shooting. Shooting trap and skeet as well as a paper target at 200 yards is never the same as going hunting.
The best thing you can do is take her fair weather hunting. Spend the money on good gear for her . After she gets the bug and enjoys it you will be able to get to hunt a little more it becomes a you as a couple thing to do good luck

I worked in the corporate grinder as a banker for almost 20 years. I did really well but the stress and corporate politics became unbearable.

I had climbed up the pyramid high enough to realized most of the people above me were likely narcissistic at best and at worst sociopaths. All they did was work and most of them had destroyed at least one marriage and messed up some kids. A few were truly great people but they were the exception and not the rule.

Eventually I was able to grow my side gig big enough to quit. I feel very very fortunate. My overall quality of life is so much better. I make less money but being my own boss and having some flexibility with my time makes me much happier.