Cooper muzzy

Both the people I know have breech sealing and accuracy issues. I know one rifle was sent back and returned and he's still not enthused. For the expense, its only capable of standard charges and bullets. Both the owners I know went back to shooting their Knights, which they indicate are better and more accurate rifles.

I purchased a cooper ml22 from another site. Gun was as close to new as I have seen. Let me be clear I own and shoot this gun, not "a Freind" or "buddy". This is first hand experience. First, not all 209 primers are sized the same, I found both Winchester and Cheddite primers to fit best, the Cheddite are sealed as a bonus. Every 209 muzzleloader has these issues. That's why you will hear so much about shimming the primers. The gun is very accurate with blackhorn or 777 pellets, tried several loads all were good, the 250 grain Hornady and 265 grain Barnes are MOA at 200 yards, stopped experimenting at that point. Next would be different sabots. Easy to hit the 8 inch plate at the 300 yard mark, bench or prone. Priming is easy, slips in the bolt slot as easy as most, maybe the disk system is easier but then again more parts to carry. The gun is well built, what you'd expect from Cooper, excellent fit and finish. Mine had a wood stock which I stupidly broke taking the breach plug out, I had a hunt in three weeks, called cooper they sent me a brand new synthetic stock, in a few days, no charge, service was excellent, they saved my hunt. Glen at Cooper was great in taking calls and answering questions. If you are looking for a higher end ML that shoots out of the box and is backed by a warranty and people that care buy one, no question.

Both my "friends" or "buddies" are TOP muzzleloader shooters, one of whom is a 3 time National Champion.

Not saying they are bad rifles, or service is bad. As indicated above, other's opinions may vary.

Only indicating the experiences of two TOP shooters I know personally and who shoot many thousands of rounds each year, bench and prone. Maybe its that they're both used to less than MOA at 500yds?

So for what it's worth before dropping the cash on a expensive muzzleloader i will say that my CVA optima I bought for $250 shoots MOA groups out to 200, isn't picky on primers or powder or bullets either. My buddy has the same gun and has had the same experience. That's as far as I've shot it.

It's not really answering your question. You're probably looking for something a bit nicer than a plastic stock CVA but I'm just throwing that out there.

Thanks for the input folks.

I totally concur with dig, Cooper's customer service is next to none, and having the ability to talk to people that work and shoot their own products is key.

I would have a hard time believing that in the accuracy Dept. Cooper's wouldnt be next to none with there QC process, but wondering if the features offered for the price was worth it. Currently don't really need a tack driver muzzy, as most of my usage is late season doe hunts with an average shot distance of about 100 yards. That being said, I know I'll want something better when I draw my NM muzzy elk tag.

I purchased this for a New Mex Mulie hunt. Wanted something a bit nicer than the Knight I have been shooting. Although the Knight does shoot. With a little tinkering most these ML will shoot.

I have been interested in the cooper ml-22 also but the reviews I have read are all over the place . Seems some guys love theirs and others hate them . Hard to figure

Cva has a new muzzleloader called the paramount that looks interesting. Looks like its based off a bergara bolt action. 45 caliber and meant for shooting sabotless with magnum charges of blackhorn 209.

I have two TC Omegas , 1-28 twist barrels, both set up with Nikon Inline XR300 scopes with real world BDC's that are every 50 yds. I am a lifelong ML shooter and have medaled 31 times in NMLRA events. I was hesitant to use BH 209, but now am a dedicated fan of the powder. When I got on their website and learned all the do's and don't do's, my rifles really came to lifet. I shoot 3-4 times each fall, shooting out to 300 yds with a Harvester 300 grain Plastic tip, jacketed .451 slug and a Harvester , black crush rib sabot, made for high pressure and the above slug. I use 100 grains of powder, which is the equivalent to 120-130 grains of Pyrodex or black powder, If I remember correctly. With the cross hair spot on at 100 yds, it will shoot 5 shots into a ragged hole about .750 diameter, and shoots every BDC dead on, within a inch + or -, out to 300 yds. My best 3 shot group at 300 yds was 1.952, center to center, my worst is 3.50. I have taken 22 whitetails and mule deer out to 280 yards using this combo. My main point, is that at first I was having fits with BH209, until I read the instruction's closer and did what they said. Being a traditional ML shooter, I had to make several adjustments in my process of loading and shooting. I have set up 5 more various new TC inlines, the Encore, Impact, and so on, each have utilized the same barrel with different underlugs, and each one shoots MOA or darn close to it out to 300 yds, and this is with the owner shooting them, guys who are not competition shooters, but every day hunters. There is a learning curve with any new rifle type, especially ML's, as they can be more particular to what they take to shoot good.

Its just what a fella really would like to have and what makes him happy. There's not a modern inline made today that can't shoot MOA or less at 200yds. Its when you start stretching them out, that you will need more work. Normally the shooter needs the most. With the right bullet providing sufficient energy, shots of further than 200yds can be made. One has to do his/her homework for bullet energy and what distance it becomes to low.
One thing about it, once you start shooting long ranges and see what these rifles in good hands, with good charges will accomplish, most are surprised and its very possible to want more. Been there..... and done with production rifles.

I used a Cooper last year. I hadn't used a muzzy in a long time. I was amazed at the accuracy. It shot great with BH209 and PB's. I would of liked to use sabots but you can't in Colorado. It would shoot MOA with most loads I tried which admittedly wasn't allot since the bullet I wanted to shoot, shot so well. I will be hunting muzzy a lot more now after seeing how accurate they can be. Definitely didn't feel very handicapped using a muzzy instead of a rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.