Converting 22 Hornet to 17 HH

DLFant

Hello everyone I have been working up some 17 Hornady Hornet Loads. Converting 22 Hornet brass to 17 Hornady Hornet I thought it might be helpful for someone out there to show the step by step. description and Photo below:

From Left to Right Conversion steps
1. Loaded 22 Hornet.
2. Fired 22 Hornet.
3. Trimmed to 1.349 to allow for draw back when fire formed.
4. Necked down to 20 cal.
5. Necked to 17 cal.
6. Loaded to fire form.
7. Fire formed case 1.340 OAL.
8. Loaded 17 Hornady Hornet

Let me know if you find this helpful

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 168
Great info, I just purchased a Savage Model 25 and I cannot find any ammunition any where. I have recently set up a Lee Loader, I'm a newbie at loading, so if you could point me in the direction to get the equipment needed to do the conversion I would greatly appreciae any and all help

Sure you just need a set of FL sze Dies and you need a 20 cal neck die. I made mine From an old die I had a I just fliped it over and drilled it to .204. You could also make from a pice of 14 TPI 7/8 all thread. They also sell a conversion set That has a 20 cal die in it. If you dont use the 20 cal.and just try to go strait from 22 to 17 you will crush most of your brass. Other wise just follow the steps in the order I showed and it will work. I have done about 600

Who has the conversion kit, being a newbie it would be safer if I purchased professional made dies/neck crimp. Thank you for the help it is really frustrating to have close to $1k tied up in a gun and not be able to get ammo for ithttp://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.