Contour for 338 Edge on a Rem action?

1kshooter

Im building my dad a 338 Edge and I have never used a barrel this long on a Rem action. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about this: 1.250 for 5" then smooth taper to .900 at the muzzle 30" OAL. I have only used barrels longer than 26" on Bat and Nesika actions so I really dont know what the Rem700 action, Pillar bedded, Free floated barrel's max length and contour is, esp. the accuracy and how well the action will be able to support the barrel in a pillar free floated setup? I would love input on using a V block bedding in front of the action to support very long and stiff barrel, I know Kirby Allen uses some sort of V block setup!! If all you Edge owners could give me your thoughts on this barrel contour I would appreciate it!
Thanks!

Greg

gun)

I have the same contour/length barrel on a rem 700 action. The barrel is from bartlein with a vais muzzle break. Seems to work just fine, balance is nice.

Here is my edge with a 30 inch broughton heavy palma contor with a holland radial brake it is free floated and weighs in at 13 lbs with scope

DSCN0067.jpg
[/IMG]

I used a Remington Varmint contour, but carried the muzzle dia. of .830 to the 30 " finished length.The barrel was nonfluted and the rifle weighed 13.5# w/ a Nightforce 5.5x22 on it, and an HS Precision stock. Very good set-up.

I was talking to Bob Hart about this very thing last week. He recommends if going with a 30 inch Sendero contour to go a little larger than the standard .850/.860 at the muzzle. Call Hart ... nice guys!

+1 on the Sendero Contour !

I have the 30 " 6 flute stainless version from Hart with DE muzzle break and can just about pack it anywhere. Anywhere between12.5 lbs when going packing to my std 14.5 long range ambush setting. I have removable weight in my stock.

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.