Chambering for 338 edge

Down Under Hunter

Howdy all,

Just interested in your thoughts on this.

Having a new 338 custom gun built by Shawn Carlock and had thoguht of having it chambered to suit the new 265 wildcat AL tipped bullets, but then I will have to seat the 300 smk in deeper than Shawns suggested OAL of 3.880 inches. Should I have the rifle set up for one bullet over another, or will this limit me in any way. I always plan on shooting the big high BC bullets through this gun. Will this setup cause any accuracy problems with the second choice load ??

Thanks

i doubt the difference between the 2 bullets would make any difference at all. get it throated so the 250 SMK will work and it will be good for all of them. this business of seating the bullet out as far as possible to gain extra powder capacity is way over rated. i think it was Shawn that changed the seating depth of one of his Edge's by .4 of an inch and it only gave him 35fps. and .4 is a bunch!

Dave,

Appreciate your thoughts on this. I wasn't sure if having it specifically chambered for one would cause issues with the second choice round. I talked with Shawn about this the other day and he seemed happy about setting it up with the 265 wildcat as long as he could get them to shoot ? From what I read, they should do this alright. Then plan on seating the 300 sierra in a little further than 3.880. Does this sound cool with you ??

Thanks again

From speaking with a few smiths on this site with experience with the 265 they all think 1-10 will be right. It will still run the 300 smk , but won't run the 300 weight wildcat. I'm just wanting to hear some accuracy reports from someone shooting them in 1-10 ?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.