Considering a Remington 700 SPS Long Range Any information would be helpful.

richhymas

I started shooting long range last year with a DPMS panther LR .308. I am getting good groupings at less than 1 MOA out to about 700 yards, but I am uncomfortable with the energy and velocity at that range for long range deer and elk hunting so I am looking for a good long range deer and elk rifle around $800 (gun only, I already have a scope).

Right now I am leaning towards a 300 win mag for a few reasons. ballistics tables suggest that a 190-210 grain bullet will still be going faster than 1800 FPS at 700-800 yards, providing sufficient velocity for the bullet to expand and enough energy for a clean kill with a well placed shot. I also like the availability of the Federal GMM 190 grain at 2900 FPS while I am working up a good long range hunting load. I also think shooting a 300 win mag is more affordable than a 300 RUM with less recoil. Any thoughts?

The Remington 700 SPS Long Range looks like a great option. I think it is brand new this year. Does anyone have any experience with this gun? It seems to be much like the SPS varmint in magnum calibers. What would I have to do with this rifle to get it to shoot well? What other recommendations do you recommend in this price range?

I can't speak to the new LR line; however, I would suggest that whatever you end up with to spend some time shooting the rifle prior to dumping $$ into it for accuracy. There have been a lot of people that speak to the poor quality of recently built Remington rifles - but they still kick some out that shoot. My dad bought a stainless sps last summer in 7mm Rem Mag and it flat shoots totally stock. This doesn't happen often but is possible.

The last rifle I bought, I bought knowing that it would be a good platform to build on IF it didn't perform to my specifications. It didn't and now it's a custom that does shoot.

As for the caliber choice, there is nothing wrong with a 300 winmag. If it were me looking for 1 do all deer/elk long range rig, I might choose a 7mm Rem Mag - it will hold it's velocity further out due to higher B.C.

Either way, let us know what you decide on!

If not a remington, then what brand would you recommend? I am totally open to suggestions. If I did get the Rem 700 and it didnt shoot well what would I have to do to it and how much would that cost?

I also have a 300 Weatherby Mark V with a standard stainless 26 inch barrel. It only shoots about 1.5-2 MOA, but I haven't done anything to it. I have heard that weatherby guns can be difficult to dial in due to the large minimum gap between the bullet and the lands. Would I need a new barrel and stock in order to get this gun to shoot well?

Thanks for the tips, I am new to this forum and I haven't done any custom work to any of my guns. Any suggestions are very helpful.

Does anyone recommend a gunsmith in the Salt Lake City area?

your Weatherby will deffinatly do the trick if you can get it to shoot. The actions are much better than the remingtons. I have had one weatherby (mark V) and have developed loads for others and I have been able to get them all to shoot very well. I would start by free floating your barrel and getting it glass bedded (I bed myself). Then start handloading.

If your weatherby is and older hand-me-down it may have the barrel shot shot out, if its new your barrel is most likely capable of good to great accuracy.

The Mark V is my favorite factory action by a large margin.

The stock is synthetic. Should I try to do it myself or have a gunsmith do it for me? about how much would it cost? is there a link to a website that gives explicit instructions? Thanks for the advice.

You could look into a Savage 111 LRH or if you don't want the MB and cheekpiece the 116. Savage builds some pretty awesome guns. I have also heard the Tikka is a pretty good shooter.

I was also thinking of buying a 700 sps lr in 300 win mag I was told that I could get one in left hand. The only thing I'm not to sure about is its only offered in 9.125 twist in 300 win. Is that to fast for a 180 grn boat tail?

the savage long range hunter would be another great gun to look into. It is in your price range and should be a shooter. I also really like the on/off muzzle break. Turn it on when you are at the range and turn it off for hunting. The stock leaves a bit to be desired but so does the remington 700.

I was also considering the savage LRH but I heard that the adjustable muzzle break could cause accuracy and POI issues. Does anyone have personal experience with this rifle?

Hi all, I am actually new to this forum and am interested in getting in to LRH. I was also looking at the Remington SPS Long Range but can't find any information on it. This threat and a video from a gun show is the extent of what I've been able to find. Incidentally, I was also looking at the Savage LRH, but I am also nervous about the adjustable muzzle break affecting accuracy.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Savage Stainless Fluted - Cabela's: Savage Long-Range Stainless Fluted Barrel Rifle

It's a Cabela's special. It looks to me like it is a Weather Warrior with a bit heavier fluted barrel. Seems like it would be a shooter to me, especially for an over the counter gun. I would be interested in anyone's thoughts.

Remington Sendero in 7mm mag 168 gr Bergers will do fine. I've shot this combo to 880 yds and it groups well. I also have a 300 ultra mag Sendero and shoot 210 gr bergers, however, haven't been overly pleased with its performance with many of the other bullets I've loaded for it. As others have stated, remington's are hit and miss these days. That is, you may get a good one, or a not so good one in regards to out of the box accuracy. Some fine tuning will usually help but not always. I have friends who have spent lots of $ on up grades, however are still not always pleased with the end result compared to what they spent.

I have an accuracy international sniper rifle in 300 win mag that shoots extremely well with near any bullet I load for it. 300 win mag is a good cal choice for hunting just about anything that walks, crawl's, fly's or slithers in north america in my opinion.
This hunting season I shot a moose, elk and deer with the 7mm mag & 168 berger combo and was extremely pleased with the results. gun)

I can't speak to the new LR line; however, I would suggest that whatever you end up with to spend some time shooting the rifle prior to dumping $$ into it for accuracy. There have been a lot of people that speak to the poor quality of recently built Remington rifles - but they still kick some out that shoot. My dad bought a stainless sps last summer in 7mm Rem Mag and it flat shoots totally stock. This doesn't happen often but is possible.

The last rifle I bought, I bought knowing that it would be a good platform to build on IF it didn't perform to my specifications. It didn't and now it's a custom that does shoot.

As for the caliber choice, there is nothing wrong with a 300 winmag. If it were me looking for 1 do all deer/elk long range rig, I might choose a 7mm Rem Mag - it will hold it's velocity further out due to higher B.C.

Either way, let us know what you decide on!
Every Remington 700 I've ever owned would shoot lights-out from the factory. I guess I've just gotten lucky. I would be willing to bet that more shoot sub-MOA than those that don't....You just only hear people complaining about the bad ones. And just like anything man-made there can and WILL be lemons. Anything man-made can and will fail at some point or another, too.

I personally have only shot 1 Remington that wouldn't group worth a ****, and it was a model 710 or 770 (can't remember). You know, the cheap Wally World combo with a cheap Bushy scope on it... A buddy has one, and he was having some issues sighting it in at 100 yards. So I lent my assistance, and I got it where he could kill something at 100 yards, but that thing is lucky to shoot 3" groups @ 100 yards...

I'm so glad I have been blessed with the means and knowledge to not buy cheaply made guns. I would rather buy 1 very high-quality gun per year, than 3 cheap ones. But that is just me.

As to your question....A 7mm RemMag is an excellent caliber in a 700 for those distances. A 300 WinMag will also do it for you. Personally, I am not a fan of the 300 WinMag (not really sure why, just never had a desire to own one). I reload ALOT of 300 WinMag for my buddy who has one, and I have gotten quite good at it, but I still just don't want one.

I have been considering a 7/300 WinMag, but I already have a 7mm RemMag and a 7mmSTW. I think my next long-range whitetail build will be a 700 chambered in .280 Ackley Improved 40* Shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.