Compliment Caliber to .270 Win using Copper Bullets

z71rad88

Looking to purchase a second bolt action rifle for my pig and deer needs in CA. I've had good success with my Model 70 in .270 Win, but last last fall I had my .270 in the shop for two months due to my bolt lock sleeve pin and spring getting lost on a previous hunt(. So, I was centerfire-less for a while and made me realize I should probably get a second rifle. Plus, what's the point of investing in a nice big safe if it sits empty (that's the way i pitched it to the wife.)

I'm already sold on the Browning Xbolt for my rifle but undecided on a caliber. I have several boxes of Federal Premium .30-06 (my dad has an 06 I used to use before I bought my .270) that will be range ammo in about 2 years since CA goes to 100% cooper starting July 2019, so I was kind of leaning that way, but is there a big enough difference between the .270 and .30-06, or should I look at something different?

I have zero experience with copper bullets and was hoping to hear from some of you what you're experience has been. My search online lead me to believe that maintaining velocity downrange is vital for proper bullet expansion? What is the proper speed to have reliable expansion? Are there any caliber I shouldn't consider because the velocity is too low downrange with using copper bullets? Again, I've never shot copper bullets, and really, big game is new to me within the last five years or so, been more of a waterfowl/upland hunter. Back to my title, what would you guys recommend for a compliment caliber to my .270 for my needs? Ranges can be long, 300+ is no unusual where we hunt game. I've already ruled out just buying another .270, and would like something with a little more umph.

I appreciate the input and welcome you sharing your experiences with different calibers using copper bullets on game.

I would buy a 6.5 of some kind the reason being is many of them come with a 1-8 twist which will stabilize a better copper bullet than some of the other standard twist rates. Personally I shoot Hammer bullets for my copper bullets, and I'd recommend looking at twist rates of the different bullets and try to get the most out of a factory rifle.

I would buy a 6.5 of some kind the reason being is many of them come with a 1-8 twist which will stabilize a better copper bullet than some of the other standard twist rates. Personally I shoot Hammer bullets for my copper bullets, and I'd recommend looking at twist rates of the different bullets and try to get the most out of a factory rifle.

Thanks Big. I should've said in my initial post that I don't currently reload.

I have to admit, I've never even fired my 2 270's. This is because I have a Weatherby 270Wby as well.

I personally have not taken game with the 270Wby but my hunting buddy I load for has taken pigs to 565 yards.

That is lead in to my opinions. As a Californian, I to have the lead free challenge. Because of personal preference, all my limited hunting has been with lead free. I have made an extensive study of lead free.

Your 270 will be a fine tool for California deer and pigs. Load it with 115 to 130 grain bullets going as fast as is accurate. You should be good to ~500 yards. Plenty of terminal speed = plenty of knock down power.

For a second rifle, it depends on your recoil sensitivity and whether you are trying to fill on the gap to 600 yards and beyond that you will loose with lead free projectiles.

If you are not sensitive to recoil and you are looking for something that will shoot lead free beyond what the 270 can, an outstanding choice would be a 300WM or 30-Nosler. IMO for most, the nod goes to the 300WM because of availability of ammo and components.

I chose a 300WSM. I like designs based on the 404 Jeffery. Except for a few things I lean away from belted designs. That's just me.

I agree with bigngreen. With the ranges that you are talking about our Sledge Hammer line of bullets will be able to get nice heavy for cal bullets in the factory twist and run very nicely in the 400 to 500 yard range where bc doesn't make much difference. Most of the 30cal offerings on the market have 10" twist that will run our 181g Hammer Hunter very well and be able to get you a more extended range than you are currently shooting with quite a bit more energy than your 270.

As far as you not reloading, we offer custom ammunition. Send us your rifle and we will develop a load that gets the most out of your rifle and ship it back to you with 100 rounds or more of ammunition. We can also develop drop charts and such for your rifle set up.

Steve

I have to admit, I've never even fired my 2 270's. This is because I have a Weatherby 270Wby as well.

I personally have not taken game with the 270Wby but my hunting buddy I load for has taken pigs to 565 yards.

That is lead in to my opinions. As a Californian, I to have the lead free challenge. Because of personal preference, all my limited hunting has been with lead free. I have made an extensive study of lead free.

Your 270 will be a fine tool for California deer and pigs. Load it with 115 to 130 grain bullets going as fast as is accurate. You should be good to ~500 yards. Plenty of terminal speed = plenty of knock down power.

For a second rifle, it depends on your recoil sensitivity and whether you are trying to fill on the gap to 600 yards and beyond that you will loose with lead free projectiles.

If you are not sensitive to recoil and you are looking for something that will shoot lead free beyond what the 270 can, an outstanding choice would be a 300WM or 30-Nosler. IMO for most, the nod goes to the 300WM because of availability of ammo and components.

I've shot a friends .300 WM once at the range, but it had a break on it. No issues with the recoil. I'm not really sure how I feel about muzzle breaks though. I've shot an 06 several times and don't have any issues with the recoil bothering me on the bench or in the field. The .270 Weatherby is an interesting suggestion, thanks!

Looking to purchase a second bolt action rifle for my pig and deer needs in CA. I've had good success with my Model 70 in .270 Win, but last last fall I had my .270 in the shop for two months due to my bolt lock sleeve pin and spring getting lost on a previous hunt(. So, I was centerfire-less for a while and made me realize I should probably get a second rifle. Plus, what's the point of investing in a nice big safe if it sits empty (that's the way i pitched it to the wife.)

I'm already sold on the Browning Xbolt for my rifle but undecided on a caliber. I have several boxes of Federal Premium .30-06 (my dad has an 06 I used to use before I bought my .270) that will be range ammo in about 2 years since CA goes to 100% cooper starting July 2019, so I was kind of leaning that way, but is there a big enough difference between the .270 and .30-06, or should I look at something different?

I have zero experience with copper bullets and was hoping to hear from some of you what you're experience has been. My search online lead me to believe that maintaining velocity downrange is vital for proper bullet expansion? What is the proper speed to have reliable expansion? Are there any caliber I shouldn't consider because the velocity is too low downrange with using copper bullets? Again, I've never shot copper bullets, and really, big game is new to me within the last five years or so, been more of a waterfowl/upland hunter. Back to my title, what would you guys recommend for a compliment caliber to my .270 for my needs? Ranges can be long, 300+ is no unusual where we hunt game. I've already ruled out just buying another .270, and would like something with a little more umph.

I appreciate the input and welcome you sharing your experiences with different calibers using copper bullets on game.

I don't live Ca but have family in Stockton and when I down sized I gave nephew some of my hunting rifles. I shot Barnes in most of them knowing at some point entire state ban and he reloads. He's in duck club out of Colusa.

I was also born raised Ca and hunted there and now live Co.

I've taken deer with Barnes bullet in my 270 and cow elk with Nosler E-Tip in my 30-06 here.

I gave my nephew one of my 270's and left opening for 270Wby and nice rifle to take along as spare if hunting with 270. My wife gives me bad time about downsizing.

When I moved to Co I had 7mag and 7Wby and Wby was out of their custom shop. I take spare all the time never know.

Good luck

Just wanted to let everyone who replied I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions and ended up going with a Stainless Stalker X-bolt in .30-06. Can't wait to pick it up. Will probably go with a Leupold VX3 for an optic.

Can't go wrong with that rig! I have a friend who uses nothing but Vortex 168TTSX ammo in his Browning BAR 30-06. Another guy uses the same ammo but in 150TTSX. If it turns out you really like the rifle, the Load Workup offered by Hammer Bullets is the way to go. A lighter, faster all copper bullet makes the 30-06 a "gee-wiz" flat shooting killer! Have a ball pard, good pick on caliber/rifle!

Can't go wrong with that rig! I have a friend who uses nothing but Vortex 168TTSX ammo in his Browning BAR 30-06. Another guy uses the same ammo but in 150TTSX. If it turns out you really like the rifle, the Load Workup offered by Hammer Bullets is the way to go. A lighter, faster all copper bullet makes the 30-06 a "gee-wiz" flat shooting killer! Have a ball pard, good pick on caliber/rifle!

I'm super stoked to get my hands on it (gotta wait the 10 days here in CA) but once I do I'm going to shoot 150s and 165s through it and see what groups the best. Since my .270 is set up for 130s, I'd like to make the jump in having a rifle dialed in for a heavier bullet than 150 gr, but I like the idea of a higher velocity bullet and less recoil going with the 150 over 165. Time will tell and I'll keep you posted on after my first range test.

Just wanted to let everyone who replied I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions and ended up going with a Stainless Stalker X-bolt in .30-06. Can't wait to pick it up. Will probably go with a Leupold VX3 for an optic.

A good choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts