Compition Barrels?

A friend just finished 2nd overall in two gun(LV and HV) 600 and 1000yd. NBRSA Nationals this weekend(Uses the same rifle for everything). Also got his 11th World Record pending and he was shooting a Krieger barrel. He has a new Brux also.

Brent

Last edited:
I shoot Kriegers and love them but several friends of mine are using, Rock Creek, Bartleins, Brux, Broughtons, etc. and they all seem to shoot very well. Most custom barrels will shoot well if the rifle is put together correctly. With that being said, when I have a rifle built I look for Krieger barrels first because i've had such good luck with them.

I have shot all those listed above, except Brux, and that may be my next order. But there are exceptions and even a Krieger or Bartlien might wind up as a tomato stake. If not chambered and fit up well, the barrel usually gets the blame. One of the worse I ever had was a pre-fit PacNor in 6.5-284 on a Savage. Sent it back, they said nothing wrong with it, but it was a duplicate of my old Douglas, and shot terrible. 325 rounds and I gave up.

I shoot a Broughton Barrel . From Tim north. I really like it and it has shot fairly good groups . I dont feel like I am at a disadvantage . With that said Hart will be my next choice .....

My rifles right now are wearing Krieger and Bartlein. Snowy Mountain Rifles uses a lot of Benchmark and Lilja which are very good barrels. You have lots of options for a top quality barrel.

Geb

I only have Hart on my guns. They shoot good for me so I am just sticking with them. I might try a Pacnor prefit on my Daughters Savage

Two Lilja's (one is being replaced with a Brux, it doesn't shoot like it should and has already been back to Lilja once)
Four Brux (counting the new one)
One Broughton
One Shilen
One Benchmark
One Hart

I also have a Benchmark on order with my smith. This will be for my 22-250, 1 in 8 light palma contour to be finished at 26 inches. This will be my first high end barrel and having heard nothing other than kudos for Benchmark barrels I have high expectations, we'll see.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.