308 in 1000 yard compition

Jeremybj

Hello all. I currently have a Savage Model 10 in 308. I am wonder if the 308 is capable of shooting 1000 yards. If so, what weight bullet/charge would you recommend? I know that each gun is different, but I just want to get an idea. Also, if the 308 capable of 1000 yards, what size of group could I expect from it? Thanks for any input.

Sure it was the go to round for years but it has lost favor in the last few years to rounds like the 260 rem, 6.5x284 etc. But its still just as good as it ever was. For 1k shooting your going to want a bullet with a high BC that will remain stable through transonic flight like the 175g Berger VLD.

Groups well there, thats up to you man if you do you part the rifle will do its. Shoot learn and you will get better with time.

Hello all. I currently have a Savage Model 10 in 308. I am wonder if the 308 is capable of shooting 1000 yards. If so, what weight bullet/charge would you recommend? I know that each gun is different, but I just want to get an idea. Also, if the 308 capable of 1000 yards, what size of group could I expect from it? Thanks for any input.
Sure it's capable for 1K shooting. Use either 175 SMK or 155 grain Lapua and you'll have no problem getting to 1K.

here's the score from our last month 1K shoot.

3b772522.jpg

ae673779.jpg

In Australia and the UK we shoot "Match Rifle" this is where F-Class stops and the REAL long range .308 target shooters come out to play!

1000 yards, 1100 yards and 1200 yards events.

See the Match Rifle web site........ Home

supine_shooting.jpg

Last edited:
Hornady 178gr A-max will serve you well at a fraction of the cost of VLD's.
Make sure you treat your barrel well and it will be good to you.

Will the 178 Hornady Match bullets work just as well as the a max? The a max don't like to feed in my gun for some reason. But I could always single shot it....

Will the 178 Hornady Match bullets work just as well as the a max? The a max don't like to feed in my gun for some reason. But I could always single shot it....

I've never used Hornadys match bullets so can't answer that. If your going to use Berger your going to have to single load anyways, so having to single load the A max wont change that aspect.

I have never used Bergers so I'm not knocking them, just their price.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.