compact spotting scope

Ronin75

I asking for imput regarding light weight compact variable powered spotting scopes, and light weigth tripods.. I looking at a price range of $500 or less for the spotting scope and $300 or less on the tripod. Any imput would be appreciated.

Thank you

I know it is a little more than your budget but I have the 50mm vortex razor HD and it is a pretty awesome scope for such a tiny package. Clear glass through all powers but lacking in light transmission early in the morning or later at night, especially compared to my 85mm razor. Pair it with a phoneskope and you will gain quite a bit of zoom range. Overall though I think it is a great purchase and if vortex ever came out with a wide angle eyepiece for the 50mm it would be perfect.

Rather than budget for a tripod, invest all you can afford in the optic. The old adage here of 'buy once, cry once' applies and you want the BEST optic you can afford. After that, $200 (or less) will get you a good tripod.

As for the optic itself, I can't provide much help as my favorite optic is the Leupold MK4 spotting scope with a TMR reticle. But they cost ~$1200.

Your total budget of 800 should get you within striking distance of the Vortex Razor 11-33x50 and one of their simpler tripods with the ball-type head. I use the High Country tripod for my binos in the field, the camera behind my 20-60x85 Razor at the range, and with a homemade cradle attachment, as rifle rest on the hunt. It is a lightweight, low-cost, unit. I don't glass standing, and it would be a little shaky in the wind if fully extended, but I have no complaints using it seated or prone. The baby Razor spotting scope would be about the right weight for it. Check this site's online store, or Cameraland (a site sponsor) for good prices on Vortex products.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.