Colt Sauer Sporting Rifle?

338weatherby

So, I have a gentleman wanting to sell his Colt Sauer sporting rifle. It's chambered in 300 Weatherby with a low round count (estimated at 80-100). It's in nice condition and has a period correct Redfield Illuminator on it and it's been Magnaported. I am not super familiar with these West German rifles other then they were fairly high quality. Does anybody have any input on these? Accuracy? Chambers short/long? Known issues? Best to buy then sell or keep? He's wanting $2000 for it and quick search of past completed auctions on GB show this as a meh 😕 price. Not sure if there is any collectible value at all.

Nobody has experience with one of these? I more curious if they are just a shiny rifle similar to the Weatherby deluxe or are they something that is collectible? Trying to decide if I'll sell on consignment for the guy or buy/keep for my self.

Had one in 7 rem mag. It was an accurate beautiful nice handling rifle. I do not like the rear locking lugs that cam out of the bolt. Not a rifle to use hot loads in . I traded it for an early mkv fibermark in 3006 and couldn't have been happier. I assume it is a sauer 90. For the way I hunt it's not the rifle for me but if you like it try it out if you can.

Only rifle I ever separated cases in. I had it checked out several times and found no issues.

I always believed the retractable rear lugs were the issue.

As others have said stocks at the tang do crack and the deep bluing does wear if using it as a working rifle. They do shoot for sure but not a rough service gun. Bolts on them are silky smooth like nobody else's...smoothest I've ever had. I owned 4 of them at one point and sold them all in a package deal to a collector in Florida. They do have a following from a collectibility aspect. Good luck!!

Love my 30-06. Had it at the range on Tuesday. Never a hiccup...but not a ton of rounds through it, either. Have heard it compared favorably with - and some say superior to - Weatherby Mk V. If you shoot it, you'll love it. But, a propos of Krosebil, I'd kind of like to find one that's already beat up because I'd feel bad about messing up the rifle's good looks; so far used only at the bench or in a stand.

I've posted before on this forum about a friend who loaded his Colt/sauer 7 mag with full case of 2400 powder after dust up with teenage daughter. Had been loading 44 mag before switching to the rifle. The shot was spectacular I'm told. Gun stayed together but bolt was locked up. He sent it back to Germany and they were unable to extract the bolt and was shipped back with letter congratulating him for purchasing such a quality firearm, as he was still able to see and speak.