Colorado Unit 481

DakotaFire101

I'm curious if anybody on here has ever hunted that unit or surrounding areas. I bought landowner vouchers for elk and deer for the area around Granite and was wondering what caliber of animal should I expect to see? Any giants lurking in them hills?

Dakota; In Feb 2005 while on a ski trip at a nearby resort we drove along Rt 24 near Twin lakes/ Granite area and counted a herd of over 380 elk grazing in the fields along the Arkansas river. Of the animals I counted I saw 6 bulls, nothing large just raghorns, but larger bulls do exist in the area. This large of herd is the winter migration from the surrounding mtns to the winter grazing areas. The herd was larger, I stopped counting at 380...: ) This is typical of what folks see in the winter months in the area, some herds will exceed 500 I am told. There are nice mule deer bucks in this area also.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.