Colorado elk outfitters

Blackdirt Cowboy

I'm sorry for so many threads, but I've got lots of questions to help get me started. I've got a plan in place to start drawing for tags across the west, but for the units I'm looking at, with no points anywhere, my best ods of drawing are 1:8 in a unit I like in Wyoming. So I'm operating under the assumption that I won't be drawing a tag this year.

While I'm waiting to build points I want to buy an OTC tag in colorado to start getting some elk hunting experience, as I've never been. There's nothing I would love to do more than a DIY hunt, but I just don't have the experience for that right now. So I was thinking, if I could find a guide to take me hunting in Colorado, to show me the ropes, I could gain the necessary experience to start doing some DIY hunts. Are there any guides that y'all would reccomend that will take me on a hunt with an OTC tag? I would consider hunting a landowner tag, especially in New Mexico, but they seem pretty cost prohibitive.

And just to be clear, I'm waffling a bunch on this. Some days I wake up with gusto, ready to buy all the gear and hike into the back country and camp for a week. Then days like today, my head isn't in the clouds and I'm back to reality and realize I probably need some help for the first time out. So let me have some some guide reccomendations if you have some.

Following. I hunted WY with NonTypical Outfitters this last season. This was to be a bucket list hunt for me, but I gotta do it again. It is worth the Three point wait! But something else in the meantime would be nice too!

Cowboy

I live in Colorado and have hunted DIY for 20+ years. I average around 50% harvesting Bulls and around 75% on cows. The key is to get away from the other hunters!

Most hunters here camp at the end of a trail head then either walk or ride their ATV's to where they plan to hunt. They usually end up within a mile of the trail or road. If you are willing to get up early and hump 3+ hours to get away from them, your chances of seeing Elk improve.

Deciding where to hunt may be your most important decision. Choose an area and do as much research as you can. Get there early and scout the area.

I enjoy hunting alone, but your chance of killing a nice Bull will improve with an experienced outfitter.

Good Luck!!

We are also within 4 months when tags need to be put in. If you're alone, there might be the real possibility of joining someone's camp, particularly if you know the area you might want to try. I thought I'd throw that out there. We can usually use the help but this year we have enough points for a special ranch hunt.

The CO Parks and Wildlife website has what they call a hunting atlas which you can learn Elk movements and where they hang out. There is also information on the website about Elk populations and harvest results.

Welder Outfitter outside of Meeker Co would be a decent place to start if you want to go 2nd rifle (OTC).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts