Colorado elk

Yotebuster

I was hoping to pick a few pointers on an elk hunt. A few of us are plannning a hunt that way in 2010 0r 2011 , Did a search on here and did not find out much on unit 21,11, 2, that area, Looking at unit 21, Any advise would be greatly appreciated. what kind of terain etc much public land? Thanks to all for your time.

Dan

This might help.

Game Management Unit Maps - Colorado Division of Wildlife

BOOKCLIFFS/PICEANCE
GMU 21, 22, 30, 31, 32

LOCAL DOW OFFICES
Meeker DOW (GMU 21, 22) (970) 878-6090
Grand Junction DOW (GMU 30, 31, 32) (970) 255-6100

Pinyon-juniper woodlands with pockets of sagebrush areas cover most of this area. The terrain varies from open rolling sagebrush areas to steep-sided canyonlike country. Seventy-five percent of this area is BLM lands (access is restricted in wilderness study areas). There are some excellent remote hunting areas accessible by foot, horseback or ATVs. Get maps and study BLM access points. Some areas are very steep and rugged, especially in the southern portion, making it difficult to retrieve downed game. Weather is generally mild. Rains bring muddy roads. At high elevations, typical 3rd season snows make roads impassible without chains.

DEER: The hunting ranges from fair to good in the Bookcliff and Piceance units. Deer are well distributed in the northern portion from mid-October. Concentrate on higher elevations in early seasons. If the weather is dry, you'll need to do a lot of walking and looking. Good snows will move the herds to the south. Spend a lot of time glassing. Hunt high early; low later in this unit. Cathedral Rim has some big bucks, but you need to hunt hard. Little Hills and Dry Fork of Piceance is better late.

ELK: There are good cow hunting opportunities. The best hunting is in remote areas, mostly at high elevations, where the elk tend to hold up in pockets of green timber and aspen. Check out the Texas Mountain area and Ratt Hole Ridge. Hunting pressure will push some bulls into the large expanses of pinyon-juniper. If snow and hunting pressure are sufficient, some elk will move into the Little Hills and Dry Fork area of Piceance later in the seasons. Most of the GMU 32 elk move into GMU 22 to winter. The elk start out in the higher elevations, moving to the pinyon-juniper at lower elevations. The good bulls will head for heavy pinyon-juniper cover after they've been hunted, making them difficult to hunt.

Note: Intensive energy development is occurring in these units. Some lands that have been open to hunting in the past may no longer be open. Hunters should consult updated BLM and county land use maps. As of the date of this publication, DOW officials are negotiating with several energy companies to obtain hunting leases.

GOOD LUCK :)

This might help.

BOOKCLIFFS/PICEANCE
GMU 21, 22, 30, 31, 32

LOCAL DOW OFFICES

Pinyon-juniper woodlands with pockets of sagebrush areas cover most of this area. The terrain varies from open rolling sagebrush areas to steep-sided canyonlike country. Seventy-five percent of this area is BLM lands (access is restricted in wilderness study areas). There are some excellent remote hunting areas accessible by foot, horseback or ATVs. Get maps and study BLM access points. Some areas are very steep and rugged, especially in the southern portion, making it difficult to retrieve downed game. Weather is generally mild. Rains bring muddy roads. At high elevations, typical 3rd season snows make roads impassible without chains.

DEER: The hunting ranges from fair to good in the Bookcliff and Piceance units. Deer are well distributed in the northern portion from mid-October. Concentrate on higher elevations in early seasons. If the weather is dry, you'll need to do a lot of walking and looking. Good snows will move the herds to the south. Spend a lot of time glassing. Hunt high early; low later in this unit. Cathedral Rim has some big bucks, but you need to hunt hard. Little Hills and Dry Fork of Piceance is better late.

ELK: There are good cow hunting opportunities. The best hunting is in remote areas, mostly at high elevations, where the elk tend to hold up in pockets of green timber and aspen. Check out the Texas Mountain area and Ratt Hole Ridge. Hunting pressure will push some bulls into the large expanses of pinyon-juniper. If snow and hunting pressure are sufficient, some elk will move into the Little Hills and Dry Fork area of Piceance later in the seasons. Most of the GMU 32 elk move into GMU 22 to winter. The elk start out in the higher elevations, moving to the pinyon-juniper at lower elevations. The good bulls will head for heavy pinyon-juniper cover after they've been hunted, making them difficult to hunt.

Note: Intensive energy development is occurring in these units. Some lands that have been open to hunting in the past may no longer be open. Hunters should consult updated BLM and county land use maps. As of the date of this publication, DOW officials are negotiating with several energy companies to obtain hunting leases.

Excellent advise!

This might help.

BOOKCLIFFS/PICEANCE
GMU 21, 22, 30, 31, 32

LOCAL DOW OFFICES

I've seen that map resource before, but where did you pull the text from? Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough to find it...

It was from some information i found online while researching before my colorado elk hunt this year. I can't find the original website, but I had copied and saved some of the info. If I can find the original information I'll post it.

It was from some information i found online while researching before my colorado elk hunt this year. I can't find the original website, but I had copied and saved some of the info. If I can find the original information I'll post it.

Thanks...I'm looking at the White River area (GMUs 12, 23, 24 I believe) for 2010 so when I see detailed descriptions like that I pay attention!!

We hunted GMU 23 this year and i think we'll go back in 2010.

I believe that there is an error here. I have recieved at least two other messages from the Colorado Elk part of this site. I have not sent a message to anyone concerning Colorado Elk. It might be that Long Range has a "crossed" wire someplace. Any how, I wish you all good luck on your future hunts. J.D.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.