color phase squirrels

Dskiper

Does anyone know how common are '' black''squirrels. I've seen them in southern Onterio,canada,Pocono area,P.A, AND CHAMPAIN,N.Y LAST week. I'VE never saw any other color but gray. thanks DSKIPER

I just looked it up, and melanism appears to be common in gray squirrels. So much so in areas it is the dominant color.

i have seen them in MA for many years they just started showing up in VT the last couple of years that i have noticed.

Last 32 (soon to be 33 sigh) years has shown that I have two nemeses.

Black Squirrels and Palomino trout.

I'm sure one of them will be the death of me :D.

If you want white phase, not albino, gray squirrels, a state park in Pensacola, Florida has them. Didn't see a single gray but did see 6 or 8 pure white ones. Don't know if the others were run off or not, just thought it weird and funny at the same time. The wife and i thought they were trash or styrofoam cups off in the distance at first until one moved. come to think of it, in Sharonville, Ohio there is an area with both gray squirrels and black phase gray squirrels.

I' ve been in the northeast part of the Wash. DC. suburbs and almost every squirrel is black.The first one I saw I thought was a cat with no legs,it was big and had shiney fur.After a while the novelty wore off.

I have squirrel hunted quite often this year and I'm sorry to say I've seen way more red squirrels this year then grey. Other then practice there not worth much.

in New jersey we have both species of squirrels,red in north part of the state, grays all over.i just returned from central Maine deer hunt and saw both reds &grays though seems reds prefer evergreens and grays like more of the hardwoods. I think I would like to hunt fox squirrels as they are the largest of all.Does anyone hunt them especially with a.22 cal.? Where? thankslightbulb

Funny you mention this... I hunt in the Poconos in Pa near the Delaware River. As a kid, you'd see one or two black squirrels a year. This year, however, theyve BOOMED. I must have counted a dozen or two. While deer hunting a new area, i saw three in one sitting. At the same time, not the same squirrel running around. I think its time for some .17 caliber crowd control...

I have seen and killed black squirrels in West Virginia. The camp where I squirrel hunt some years have several Black Phase Grey Squirrels in the area. When I worked in the mountains of the eastern part of the state there was and area that had Black Phase Fox Squirrels. My oldest son's first squirrel was a Black Phase Fox squirrel. I killed 2 more Black Phase Fox Squirrels in the area. One evening we watched 5 young Black Phase Fox Squirrels feeding in a hickory tree and left them for seed. When you moved these squirrels in the sun light you could see red hairs showing through the black hairs. In all my travels and hunting they are the only Black phase Fox squirrels I have ever been in contact with.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.