Cold Bore fliers

I'd agree with you 3 shot groups aren't telling us much, but the title of the thread is cold bore flyers. The user is trying to figure out how to eliminate or reduce the first round flyers.

The rifle is accurate after the first round. It can hit POA after it has fired one round. Any suggestions on how to get the first round to hit POA?
My point is that you can't say 3 round groups can't tell us much and then say 2 2round groups did tell us something.

It is my opinion that to solve a problem you need to get more data on it than OP has, and I would start with larger group sizes or at least doing a 5x5 with shot sequence recorded or something where they can track how the groups form over a larger sample.

I'd agree with you 3 shot groups aren't telling us much, but the title of the thread is cold bore flyers. The user is trying to figure out how to eliminate or reduce the first round flyers.

The rifle is accurate after the first round. It can hit POA after it has fired one round. Any suggestions on how to get the first round to hit POA?
I stated similar in my reply earlier as bultinkle did here. If you determine accuracy from 2 shots, which is what you seem to be saying by saying the rifle is accurate after one round is fired, then your definition of determining accuracy is going to vary substantially from many folks on this forum.

Think of it this way, if a rifle shoots 4 moa with bullet X, there probably isn't anyone here that would say that is an accurate rifle/bullet. However, it is very much possible for two shots out however many were fired to determine 4 moa, to be less than an inch from each other. If those two shots were the two fired by the OP after the "flyer", then my exaggerated scenario here could very well be reality.

You don't need to agree with Hornady's podcast of 20 shot groups to determine group size, but you won't find many folks that will support the thought that a rifle's accuracy can be measured from 2 shots.

I'm not a professional long range shooter or reloader, I'm just trying to share info I have gathered and experienced. Hopefully it isn't sounding condescending or worse. Good luck getting the rifle/ammo where you/the OP want it.

Sounds like the OP has trouble shot a few things on the rifle. One thing to try is to torque down the front gaurd screw tighter and see if it changes POI. This can be an indicator that there is bedding issue if you see a POI shift.

Whatever is going on clearly was doing the same in the "verification" groups.
Let it dirty up, for sure.
Does it copper foul bad?

1+2 grouping has a special place on my hated list, and has been easy to eliminate for me, thankfully. By avoiding one particular bullet in multiple guns.

Let a smith check the bedding with a feeler/finger gauge. If different torque gives different results on paper, it needs to be cleaned out and re-bedded. First and foremost.

What was the problem with barrel #1?

Last edited:
And the manufacturer of that bullet has given me spectacular results for 30-35yrs, with 2 other products.
I'm gonna give them a serious go at some point.
Haven't had the patience or extra components for a while.

Are you saying you tried the stage 1 load work up with the new barrel? Or was this with the bad barrel that was replaced?

My point is that you can't say 3 round groups can't tell us much and then say 2 2round groups did tell us something.

It is my opinion that to solve a problem you need to get more data on it than OP has, and I would start with larger group sizes or at least doing a 5x5 with shot sequence recorded or something where they can track how the groups form over a larger sampleI appreciate the the feed

It is my opinion that to solve a problem you need to get more data on it than OP has, and I would start with larger group sizes or at least doing a 5x5 with shot sequence recorded or something where they can track how the groups form over a larger sample.
Thank you for the advice. I plan to shoot it again in a week or two. I will shoot and record 5 shot groups and post those results here. Another member advised videoing myself to try and identify any anomalies. This thread has given some really good advice I appreciate it all!

It really sounds like bedding or something loose but odd if this wasn't discovered when they replaced the barrel. Would be good to see what a 5 shot group looked like
Will be shooting 5 round groups and posting them here in a week or two. Will also check the torque of that front action screw and try tightening it.

Shoot it slow. Pay attention to the mirage coming off that carbon barrel. Mine plays havoc with me. Anymore that about two shots within a few minutes and it makes the target so blurry I can't put the cross hairs on the dot.
I have also noticed the mirage after only 2 shots. When I have mirage coming off the barrel and mirage downrange near the target it sometimes make me think my scope is out of focus or my parallax is off.