COAL Gauge - What Am I Missing?

Texas Speed Bump

I recently bought the Franklin Arsenal Cartridge Overall Length Gauge and was using it to measure the maximum COAL on some of my rifles. I know I'm going to feel stupid when I hear the answer but I don't understand the logic behind how they show to caliper the measured distance. First you insert the cleaning rod down the barrel with bolt closed and with the rod up against the closed bolt, attach a clip on the rod at the end of the barrel. Then you retract the bolt, insert a bullet until it seats against the rifling and while holding the bullet in place, insert the rod again into the barrel until it contacts the tip of the bullet then attach the second clip on the cleaning rod.

Here's where I'm having the trouble. It seems to me that to get the COAL, you would measure from the outside edge of the second clip (one now closest to end of barrel) and the inside edge of the first clip (that you measured against the bolt face). But in the instructions and pictures that came with the device, they show measuring between the two inside faces and even show it as a method to measure assembled cartridges. I think I know the answer; that they've built the 'off' factor into the recessed case seat cut out. The two cut outs (what's cradling the cartridge in the picture) look to be half the thickness of the clip so by measuring the inside length between the cut outs, you're essentially omitting the thickness of one clip, which would make it right again.

The other thing I found using this device was that it seemed every time I measured it, it came up different, which I guess I should expect with plastic parts and measuring distances in thousands of an inch. I know this is inherently an inexact exercise but just thought I'd toss the topic into the forum blender and see what comes out.

Franklin Arsenal.JPG

First part of your question. If you were to measure from the inside edge of the right clip and the outside edge of the clip on the right and compare it to the way they show on the picture you will see it is the same measurement. Both clips have some material removed on the "top" side" and you will find out it is the thicknes difference you are talking about.
Second. You need to repeadt the process a few times untill you get consistent. This is my least favorite way to do it.
I use the Hornady tool with modified cartridge but if you
Mark Gordon has a method that works the best for most.
But there are a few other ways to do it

Past coined as 'cleaning rod method' for finding touching COAL.
A more precise application was available from a company called R-P Tool (no longer around).
They provided a brass tipped rod w/bushings well fitted to their rod.
R-P Tool.jpg

R-P Tool use.jpg

Always amazed me that none of the many copy companies out there ever developed this to better precision still.

The method itself is sound and repeatable when applied the same.
I use a wooden dowel to press the bullet to touching lands, and I use a dial indicator spindle against that dowel for a standard/reasonable force. Wifey helped with it a few times.

I no longer use the tool or care about the measure so much. Instead I test for best shooting CBTO that's off the lands (OTL).

Last edited:
Past coined as 'cleaning rod method' for finding touching COAL.
A more precise application was available from a company called R-P Tool (no longer around).
They provided a brass tipped rod w/bushings well fitted to their rod.
View attachment 324227
View attachment 324228
Always amazed me that none of the many copy companies out there ever developed this to better precision still.

The method itself is sound and repeatable when applied the same.
I use a wooden dowel to press the bullet to touching lands, and I use a dial indicator spindle against that dowel for a standard/reasonable force. Wifey helped with it a few times.

I no longer use the tool or care about the measure so much. Instead I test for best shooting CBTO that's off the lands (OTL).
Mike, shouldnt the correct point of measurement on this tool be left side to left side of the busings? And way back, I used this with a fiberglass cleaning rod

Other methods and claims for them may be accurate enough, but they're not actually better than the cleaning rod method.
Hornady's system has to be derived from an average. Magnifier interpretations of touching marks on bullets is subjective, and a real PIA.
With this method, with a well built rod fit, and cleaned bolt lugs/abutments, and a standard force applied, you can hit the measure at +/- 1thou 50 times in a row. It works quick & easy.

This is only a baseline measure for starting point with a new barrel. It will never matter beyond that with a hunting cartridge.
What matters for us is tested best CBTO, and not any particular land relationship.